PIC16F84A vintage clock - thermometer

gualandd

Joined Jul 29, 2011
Hi to all.
I'm new in PIC circuit & programming (never created a program, only downloaded from the net) and I'll like to made a clock/thermometer based on PIC16F84A, with LM35CAZ themperature sensor and, most important thing, with HCMS-2913 displays.

Is not important to do a single circuit for clock & thermometer, will be ok a circuit for clock and a circuit for thermometer.

On the net I found some schematics, but no explanation on how tho use these vintage-like displays.

Can anyone help me?

(sorry for bad english... I'm italian)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You need to get the datasheet for the display.
Click: http://tinyurl.com/3v4m9q6
Then use the Avagotech website link (should be 4th one down) to get the datasheet.

The HCMS-2913 display is serial. You'll have to go through all of the instructions in the datasheet.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Don't try to get everything working at once. Start with just the PIC and the display, see if you can get it to display "01134" (which says "hello" in English of you turn the display upside down).

Once you get that part working then add in the other features.

It is not quite a beginners project, but if you keep at it you should get it to work.

gualandd

Joined Jul 29, 2011
First thing... thanks to all.

@ErnieM: I'll like to see something on displays, but how? I don't know how to make a basic PIC program. Help please!

@Markd77: Iknow that an ADC is needed, but I've only a 16F84A as PIC; in my garage I've some ADC's that can be interfaced between LM35 and PIC. I'll try this way when the display part is running.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
@ErnieM: I'll like to see something on displays, but how? I don't know how to make a basic PIC program. Help please!
First you need to walk, then you can learn to run. You picked a rather advanced project to start with. I would really advise you to get a starter kit like this one.

For 50 bucks you get a pretested board with LEDs and a potentiometer and a push button, tutorials on how to make everything work. Additionally, you get a programmer which you need anyway to get the code into the PIC, and this one will also let you do debugging of code running inside the PIC from your PC.

gualandd

Joined Jul 29, 2011
I know that, but Italy is an expensive country, but my work don't bring me more money, so I have to arrange with cheap solutions as asking help.

But,
is possible to use NEC FIP16A5R VFD instead of HCMS-2913?
I have found DS1820, so the thermometer is more easy.

The VFD is a 16 characters so, is possible, make a clock/thermometer with a 16F84?

I also have 8085/8086/80C31 µC if someone tell me how to do...

Last edited: