PIC16F84A Infrared project

simoncwk

Joined May 20, 2008
The project is to design and develop an infrared remote control function code reader which has the ability to read any remote control function code from any remote controller into the PIC internal EEPROM and display back on 7-segments LED or LCD display using PIC16F84A MCU only.

1. Press the Erase button to clear all the EEPROM and display an indication of "ready to read".
2. Point your TV or DVD remote control device to the IR receiver module and press any button. The display should be indicate "read completion"
3. Press the Read button to start retrieve the IR code from the EEPROM memory and display at least a 2 digits hex code.
4. Press RESET button to reset the infrared code reader for Reading from the beginning again of perform Erase operation again.

Anyone know how to start this project at the first using assembly language?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Much more important to get the external hardware together and figure out how to use it. That will include interfacing it to the PIC.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
At the least you need an IR receiver and I/F to read the codes into the PIC. Then you also need the I/F to drive the display. Both will entail writing drivers to handle the two devices.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Thanks for intro to me the website, but i using P16F84A, the code for this MCU is different.
Read the introduction somewhere. The difference between both PICs is minimal and EASY to overcome.

Nigel has been insisting to use the 16F628 as an update of the 16F84A.

Take some time and you will see how simple it is.

yong

Joined Feb 23, 2008
The project is to design and develop an infrared remote control function code reader which has the ability to read any remote control function code from any remote controller into the PIC internal EEPROM and display back on 7-segments LED or LCD display using PIC16F84A MCU only.

1. Press the Erase button to clear all the EEPROM and display an indication of "ready to read".
2. Point your TV or DVD remote control device to the IR receiver module and press any button. The display should be indicate "read completion"
3. Press the Read button to start retrieve the IR code from the EEPROM memory and display at least a 2 digits hex code.
4. Press RESET button to reset the infrared code reader for Reading from the beginning again of perform Erase operation again.

Anyone know how to start this project at the first using assembly language?
Hi, I am also working on a similiar project.

Here are some links which maybe helpful

http://www.tauntek.com/irmimic-learning-ir-remote-control-transmitter.htm

Chupo_cro

Joined Nov 9, 2008
Last edited:

Chupo_cro

Joined Nov 9, 2008
Try here: http://www.winpicprog.co.uk/

The tutorials are a valuable help and one of them could be certainly good for you.
These tutorials're OK but far from the project that OP'd like to do. It's much easier to work with the IR when you know the transmiter's model/protocol. What we'd like to make is to capture (sample) the IR data regardless of it's bitrate/format. That's much more complex task. Next, we have to be able to compare the new data with the captured ones stored in EEPROM (in learning mode).