PIC16F636 Timer1 or equivelant needed.

ronbowalker

Joined Jun 26, 2009
I am looping a program and using it as a counter. The counts are then being used as a timer for an event trigger. But due to the other events that are/are not occuring during the looping process, this timer method is inconsistent and too complex. I am not versed in the Timer1 use, if any. I do understande the Timer0 is a 255 max limit, but I am reading where Timer1 is 36,000 + if I am not mistaken. I am using Pic BasicPro to program with, 32kHz osc, 5vdc source. I need someone to educate me on what my best direction would be than what I am currently doing. Even if it means an external timer layout to trigger my event accurately. Thanks...

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
IIRC, timer1 is a 16 bit up-counter, loadable as two bytes. It is capable of setting a flag (or an interupt) on overflow from 65535 to 0. If you don't reload it, and let it go on counting, it will generate the next flag 65536 counts later. If you want a specific number of events before rollover, then load it with (65536-#events).

It can count external events, or the other internal events (see the data sheet). Those events can be prescaled by 1, 2, 4, or 8.

ronbowalker

Joined Jun 26, 2009
IIRC? I am not familiar with what you are telling me. Is this a component of its own? or is this something already in the 636 chip? I sounds like it might work, but does it count on its own? or do events or programming make it tick? I need a stable and independent tick/tock to manage a 20 and a 50 minute interval event trigger. :confused: