1. somian

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 27, 2013
    I have recently started trying to use these devices, and I thought that my PICstart plus would program them, but I have discovered that it needs an adaptor. I found the circuit of such an adaptor on the Microchip site, but it isn't a diagram, just some pin connections. I have built my interpretation of it, but it still doesn't work.

Does any one know the circuit for an adaptor that really does work?

Thanks,

Ian

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Serial programming needs 5 lines: power, ground, VPP (MCLR), data and clock. (Data and clock have several names but should be identifiable). If you hook these up you may get it to work.

I say "may get it to work" because the programmer end (here your PICstart) may need to know a few things about the target device; you may get it to work but if there is trouble there isn't anything to do.

What you really need is a PICkit II or PICkit III. The II is a little cheaper, the III covers all devices (including the ones yet to be released). You will do yourself a favor to get either of these, and get real Microchip products, not a clone.

3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Can you show us the link to this adaptor?

4. somian

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Table 2 in Microchip document DS91079B is what I tried first. A search on the microchip site for the above document number should take you straight to it. There is also a wiring diagram on a different document, but I can't find it at the moment. I will post again when I get home

Ian

5. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    Table 2 in the doc is for a PICkit1, not a PICstart programmer. If you are using the 8 pin DIP, just drop it in the 40pin ZIF as noted in the PICstart's documentation - see EDIT below.

If using SOT-6, make an adapter using an 8 pin DIP header and pin it DIP pin 2-Vdd, DIP pin 7-Vss, DIP pin 8-GP3(Vpp), DIP pin 4-GP1(ISCPCLK), DIP pin5-GP0(ISCPDAT) i.e. matching the pinout of the DIP device to the corresponding pins of the SOT-6. Check out how its done with the AC163021 - described in EDIT below.

The PICstart firmware must be late enough to support your 10Fxxx. Older PICstarts have an OTP PIC that has to be swapped out. You can get a flash-PIC adapter to replace that and make the PICstart firmware upgradable via MPLAB. If you don't need to program chips out of circuit using the PICstart, consider the PICkits.

EDIT: have a look at the README file for the PICstart. For MPLAB 8.x its located at
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Microchip/MPLAB IDE/Readmes/Readme for PICSTART Plus.htm
    Here are some excerpts of interest:
    Have fun.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  6. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I've never used the PICstart, but with the PICKIT2 you have to change a setting in the software from Midrange to Baseline because the PIC10F2xx isn't auto-detected. Pretty handy chips if you only need a few pins.

7. nigelwright7557

May 10, 2008
    I have a clone and have never had any problems.
    Microchip publish the circuit and software for the PICKIT 3 so it is in the public domain.