PIC with LCD in Oshonsoft basic

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
If you wanted to stay with the 16F series, the 16F877A is a 40 pin PIC.

I would avoid connecting two PIC's together, unless one is doing a lot of Maths.

The 18F4520 40 pin, does have some program instructions that would be helpful for Tables.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013

I would avoid connecting two PIC's together, unless one is doing a lot of Maths.

The 18F4520 40 pin, does have some program instructions that would be helpful for Tables.
Hi E,
I Googled both chips and GPS type projects. 16F877A crops up quite a bit, but it doesn't show up in Microchips 'Advanced part selector' ? It is still for sale.

Here is an extract from one project using PIC18F4520:
"The complexity of the hardware designing is to extract the
GPS-NMEA sentence (hardware block diagram as shown in
Fig. 3). PIC18F4520 was used because the characteristics of a
low-power CMOS 8-bit MCU based on a high performance
RISC architecture"

Still choosing!

Cheers, C.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Using 16 PICs, to work on the program. I will be working with lists of data, where the program compares data with data. I will need some kind of way of seeing the results. Is the LCD module in Oshonsoft best for this?
Well it works better then nothing! I existed this way for years until the free tools came from Microchip and my little PICkit suddenly became an in circuit debugger. That way I can see any variable at any time, no less trace down the code itself while it executed.

Yeah, just an LCD works too. I keep a pile (literally, there are 3 extras in my box) of cheap EBay 4 line 20 character displays here just to drop into projects. I also have a PCB to add 5 pushbuttons to them that lets one control the program, as the port driving the LCD can support up to 6 buttons on the same lines.

So both ways work, but I do prefer the debugger for debugging; one does not have to write special and perfect code just to inspect things.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Well it works better then nothing! I existed this way for years until the free tools came from Microchip and my little PICkit suddenly became an in circuit debugger. That way I can see any variable at any time, no less trace down the code itself while it executed.

Yeah, just an LCD works too. I keep a pile (literally, there are 3 extras in my box) of cheap EBay 4 line 20 character displays here just to drop into projects. I also have a PCB to add 5 pushbuttons to them that lets one control the program, as the port driving the LCD can support up to 6 buttons on the same lines.

So both ways work, but I do prefer the debugger for debugging; one does not have to write special and perfect code just to inspect things.
Hi Ernie,

I'm trying to, at least keep a circuit that doesn't need a computer, while I learn to program in the Oshonsoft simulator.

Today, a GPS module dropped through the letter box. (This replaces one that I had to sent back to China [A lesser one arrived, than I ordered]) I wired it to the PIC circuit I have just got going with an LCD, , and was surprised to find it is showing ever changing digits:)

I might look into your debugger, if I get a bit of confidence. Although, on the Oshonsoft SIM. I can see the variables as the program runs down the program, I'm not sure how different this is to what you outline.

Camerart.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013

I don't think I will need tables.

Today I have looked at the PICs you suggest. In particular 16F877A, after seeing it isn't in the Microchip parts list, I found it appears to have been superseded, by 16F887. See top of page? http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41305A.pdf and it's cheaper:)

Regards, C.

jjw

Joined Dec 24, 2013
You said earlier, that the program compares lists of data with data ....
So you certainly need tables.

Btw. if you have Android tablet or phone, there is free application Pic micro database, which is handy for selecting the right pic for your needs.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
You said earlier, that the program compares lists of data with data ....
So you certainly need tables.

Btw. if you have Android tablet or phone, there is free application Pic micro database, which is handy for selecting the right pic for your needs.
I bow to your knowledge. I only have a simple unsmart phone, and laptops, but I have the Microchip selector. It is quite a task selecting the correct one, especially with my limited knowledge. I hope for experienced suggestions.