pic usb programmer

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by nunnu, Jun 17, 2010.

1. nunnu

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    where can I find a pic usb programmer circuit diagram.
  2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Google "pickit clone"

BUT, you NEED to program a PIC in order to make a USB programmer in the first place.

If you dont have access to a programmer from a friend, you will need to purchase the programmer.

The PICKIT 2 and 3 are available now from microchip.com.

The PICKIT2 is under 50 dollars.
  3. rikilshah

Jun 20, 2010
    PIC18Fxxxx series comes with direct USB support.They have USB bootloader so you can program using direct USB port with adding passive components like Caps and Resistor.They are cheap also.
  4. AlexR

Jan 16, 2008
    True, but you still need a programmer to program the bootloader code into the chip!

You are far better off getting a PICkit2 or PICkit3 from Microchip than building your own which may or may not work and will not have any ongoing support for new chips.
  5. coldpenguin

Apr 18, 2010
    Having used the clones in the past, I have found it brilliant and so much easier once I got the ICD2, which supports In Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP, no need to remove the chip from the circuit to re-load a program), and In Circuit Debugging (ICD being able to step line-by-line through C code to see what the PIC is really seeing and doing via the ICSP port)
  6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    The PICKIT 2 and 3 do support ICSP, and ICD. But as the PICKITs are low cost. They do not all the functions as the ICD units have.