PIC Programming

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by peterchondro, Jul 13, 2011.

1. peterchondro

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Hi! I have a project that involves PIC16. I've just wondered if i could program it with zif socket that usually used in PAL and GAL IC, is it possible?

I have the program, hex code...is there any one can help me?:D
  2. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    Every microcontroller have a protocol for programming, now PIC is not any exception it can only be programmed using PIC's programmer. You may built one google for PIC programmer and don't use JDM type programmers use programmers which use external power supply.

Or you can buy one,look in Microchip's website : http://www.microchip.com

Good Luck
  3. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Does anyone think it would be possible to write a driver or code to turn a NIC into a programmer? Then just break the cat6 into a header? Then have a sort of open source NIC programmer the community can work on. Would the voltages work or too weak? Sorry don't mean to hijack thread just thinking of ways to bypass buying a PK3. But if you have the money buy one, their really good and cheap.
  4. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    What do you mean by NIC?
    Is it Network Interface Controller,then yes and actually its just used for communication like RS232.But what’s the big deal with that ,if you are thinking that you will not need any separate hardware then no, you will need because different mcu use different programming signal standards which are not compatible with NIC.
  5. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    NO not all:eek:
  6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Interesting choice of words. Are you referring to the programmer or the socket itself?

Go get a PicKit 2 or 3. Do not pass go. Do not get anything else. Do not even look at anything else. Go get a PicKit 2 or 3.

Pickit 2 is cheaper but going obsolete. 3 is the current version and is less then $50 USA.

Both 2 & 3 look & work the same. You can make a header on your project and program the PIC in the circuit it lives, and also use those pins to do debugging.
  7. nigelwright7557

May 10, 2008
    I would get something from microchip as they are the experts on the PIC.
    PICKIT or PICSTART are good.

I have had bad experiences with none microchip programmers.
  8. Ctenom

Nov 1, 2010
    I brought a Pikit 3 from Farnell last week for just under £30 why bother with anything els? Don't get the one with the developer board its pointless just Buy the 18f45k20 MCU and pop it in a breadboard. Their about £2.50 in the dip package. That way you can do the Pikit 3 lessons that come with the programer. and save about £15
  9. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    A pre-built and tested developer board with sample apps included is well worth it, unless you can breadboard one with hardly a glance at the spec sheets and expect it to work the very first time you turn it on.
  10. Barnaby Walters

Mar 2, 2011
    Another vote for PICKIT2 here. Making your own programmer the first time round will be more trouble than it's worth. If you're pushed on the budget side, get a clone. I got mine on eBay, with a universal ZIF socket, for £20. Not had a problem with it so far. Just search "PICKIT 2 clone".