1. txfirefighter4721

Thread Starter Member

Jul 30, 2009
    OK. If you remember I'm building an underwater ROV. I have decided to go into very unkown territory. I would like to learn about PIC's and how to program them. Does anyone know a good place to start? Ive searched and really havent too much luck. Probably not putting in the correct phrases. Thanks in advance.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Try here: http://tutor.al-williams.com/pic-intro.html
    [eta]
    Actually, that tutorial is very dated. The PIC instructions portion is OK, but you need more of an intro.

If you don't have any PICs or a way to program them, you might consider a PICkit 2 Debug Express, about $50 from Microchip Direct. It comes with a surface-mount PIC16F887 on a prototype board. (The PIC16F88x series are basically replacing the PIC16F87x series; they aren't identical, but are much cheaper)

The PICkit 1 costs less (around $35), but it just programs the lower pin count PICs (up to 14 pins).

You can download the Microchip MPLAB from their website for free.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  3. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
  4. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    As learning curves go I'd recommend a PICkit2 or compatible like my Junebug (shameless plug :rolleyes:) and the very easy to learn Swordfish BASIC compiler (the SE version is free)
    The Arduino uses a C like language and uses a bootloader. (of course there are C compilers for PICs too)