PIC programming algorithm

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Vicktor, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Vicktor

Thread Starter Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Hi there,

I've always wanted to make my own PIC programmer, it's just that I can't find the proper algorithm to do so. I know I have to program the PIC serially through 2 wires, but it's just that I think there is more stuff about programming a PIC, which I just can't figure out. So what I'm asking here right now is for a PIC programming algorithm. What I plan is to add that algorithm to a PIC, which receives data from the computer and programs other PICs respectively. Why I'm asking here is because some of you probably knows all the specifications and "tricks" about PIC programming(i.e. a proper algorithm) and because of my failure to find this type of information on my own. Thanks in advance!
    ~Vicktor

2. mrmeval

Distinguished Member

Jun 30, 2006
  3. Vicktor

Thread Starter Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Hi,

Thank you mrmeval for your reply, but this is not what I was looking for. I came to these same findings aswell... You see I was not looking for a free programmer, I was looking for it's algorithm, i.e. what data to send first, if there are delays between each command, what they are, how to increase the address counter, etc... Sorry if I misled you by any way.
    ~Vicktor

4. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Microchip application note AN-910 appear to describe the programming process in some detail.

Is this what you were looking for?

hgmjr

5. Vicktor

Thread Starter Member

Nov 20, 2007
    That's exactly what I was looking for :) How come I never find such things in Microchip's website? Anyways thank you very much for this, really appreciated!
    ~Vicktor

6. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    As you know we have a number of members here in the AAC forum that dabble into PIC microcontrollers. I am sure they would enjoy and benefit from any lessons learned by you as you tackle your project of writing a PIC programming software utility. There may even be one or two members who have also undertaken such a project.

We hope that you will keep us updated on your progress.

Have Fun,
    hgmjr

7. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
    Look for the ICSP datasheets for each different micros series on Microchip site. Each series of micros could have different algorithm, voltage requirements, etc. They are all on Microchip site.

8. Vicktor

Thread Starter Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Hi,

Thank you for your support, yet again, and I'll probably keep you updated on my blog here. Right now I'm still trying to figure out how to make a nice GUI which will send data to the PIC Mcu... which will program other PICs :D I'm not quite familiar with rs232 communication design in Visual C++. I heard that the com port is a file and all I need is to open it along with other adjustments but I can't figure it out... That's why I've taken a minor project: Lighting a LED matrix using a PC interface, just until I step on solid ground and understand fully how it's done(still struggling). Until then, I'll load a simple program in the first PIC which it'll use to program the other. If everything goes OK, then I'll start working on the GUI. You might want to help me on that as well, because there's a great amount of uncertainty.
    ~Vicktor