PIC Programmers For Modern Computing and Operating Systems.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I have phantom pains in my left shoulder, and I think it broke into pieces from an accident. It feels different than the right one.

But only some days a little in the evening. Its bearable, just noticing it.

It makes clickering noises when I twist it.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
I have phantom pains in my left shoulder, and I think it broke into pieces from an accident. It feels different than the right one.

But only some days a little in the evening. Its bearable, just noticing it.

It makes clickering noises when I twist it.
Don't get started on morphine for it. You'll regret it. It is hard to get off it. I have beaten other drugs of dependency before such as Mogadon without any hospitalisation. I am hoping that after my crisis is over (when my mother passes away) – I can wean myself off the morphine and just learn to live with a bit of pain. Take nothing stronger than analgesics such antiinflammatories and paracetamol with codeine and on an full stomach.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
MOD NOTE:

Guys, can we please curtail the more personal aspects of this thread and get back to the technical aspects?

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Sorry...

Any other Windows 8 solutions for a PIC programmer? I am keen to upgrade technology.

Requirements:
  • Budget of ~USD 200
  • ZIF Socket
  • Handles 16F series PICs
  • Runs on 64-Bit Windows Operating Systems

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
You might want to hold off.

If it turns true that MS is giving windows 10 free this summer.....you might want something different.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Have you seen this DIY PIC programmer that is independent of the operating system? To use it, you dump the hex file into it with a terminal program. You can, of course add Zif sockets.
http://mondo-technology.com/upp.html
I like... :)

So I would just need an USB to serial convertor for the data connection to the programmer board? I see it programs the 16F628a. I also use the 16F877a and the newer (but still old) -- 16F887a derivative.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Apparently so. I haven't tried it but would be tempted if I knew more about PICs.

USB-to-Serial converters are pretty inexpensive, but I have confidence converters using genuine FTDI chips. The issues with the others range from TTL/CMOS serial signals to outdated drivers.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There are some obvious gaps in the list of devices for which it has been validated.
upload_2015-3-24_1-59-38.png

It is a bit hard to understand why the enhanced mid-range and 18F chips seem to have been completely ignored by something that is supposed to be "universal." That leaves me to wonder whether they aren't listed for some reason.

John

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
There are some obvious gaps in the list of devices for which it has been validated.
View attachment 82681

It is a bit hard to understand why the enhanced mid-range and 18F chips seem to have been completely ignored by something that is supposed to be "universal." That leaves me to wonder whether they aren't listed for some reason.

John
I think it is an great suggestion that Dick has made. It answers the question that I have been asking...

I am tempted to build it. It does the 16F628a and the 16F88, which has ADCs. I have these chips and I think they are great. I can fly through mikroC code for them and come up with projects in no time at all. But I would need to use the 40-pin 16f887a for CMOS 4000 IC tester project that I am working on at the moment. I am going to need that 8K of program memory. Plus of course the number of I/O pins too. Perhaps I should just keep working with what I have for now and hold off until the price of a good quality new notebook totally crashes to well under what it is at the moment. A previous post states that Windows might be given away for FREE come summer time.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Ahem.

I currently have over 5 products in production that all use 8 pin micros. It is quite possible you flew in a plane that uses these.

My first used a larger size but that was just for clock speed: the functions would have fit into an 8 pin device.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Ahem.

I currently have over 5 products in production that all use 8 pin micros. It is quite possible you flew in a plane that uses these.

My first used a larger size but that was just for clock speed: the functions would have fit into an 8 pin device.
Need a hand with anything? You don't have any work going do you? I can make you look 20-years younger in Photoshop. I used to do re-touching for an magazine called Brides. I gave all these girls perfect skin in Photoshop.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Need a hand with anything?
Nope, no thanks. We have no openings at the moment. Except perhaps my job: a head hunter just called me yeaterday and can get me a quite substantial raise if I jump ship.

But I'm not the one who will be doing the interviewing for my job. ;-)

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Nope, no thanks. We have no openings at the moment. Except perhaps my job: a head hunter just called me yeaterday and can get me a quite substantial raise if I jump ship.
I am only fooling myself. Don't take me too seriously. I have been out of full time employment since 2005. I used to be able to do 80-hour weeks many moons ago. On a very modest hourly rate, but with all the overtime and penalty rates for working nightshift and weekends I always walked away with an handsome sum of money from the pre-press industry back in 1996. I think though, in 2015 I would flake out rather quickly (as in have a heart attack or something) -- if I took on an full time 40-hour week. Kind of like been sitting in an chair very static for an decade, and if I jumped out of it and went from first to fifth gear I would burnout. I also have an terminally ill mother to watch out for and wait on too. I spend a lot of time making tea and coffee and going to see the doctor to get prescriptions for her. That in itself is an upwards of 3-hour waiting period in the doctor's surgery.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Well for sure members here share your hardships but you should open a seperate thread.

Does the K150 not work on Win8? Its cheap and has a ZIF socket.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Well for sure members here share your hardships but you should open a seperate thread.
Separate thread? I don't want people's sympathy mate. Empathy perhaps, but not sympathy. Everyone has an sad story to tell...

Does the K150 not work on Win8? Its cheap and has a ZIF socket.
Hell no. The K150 is so out of date that it does not even support the 16F887, but rather only the 16F877a! The Windows software for it, written in Pascal makes use of an USB to serial converter. It is not true / direct USB data communications. In fact I doubt the driver would run on any Win 64-bit platform.