PIC on breadboard

bobparihar

Joined Jul 31, 2014
i just want to know the circuit diagram for a 40 pin DIP pic16F877a micro controller..like
how the external crystal oscillator is attached with the controller and the reset button circuitry and the port connections etc.
so that i can do its interfacing even on the breadboard with different periphrels

bobparihar

Joined Jul 31, 2014
hi,
This circuit is for a simple security controller, it shows the crystal and reset connections as you requested.
E
thanks for help!
in some circuits i have seen 22pf capacitors with a 20 MHz crystal for PIC16f877a oscillation circuit.
why there is variation??

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
I have seen and used both 12pF, 15pF and 22pF and never had a crystal start up problem.

On a bread board there is sufficient on board capacitance due to the proximity of the rows of the contacts, so the crystal will oscillate without 22pF's.
I would recommend having cap values between 12pF and 22pF on your final PCB.
On some layouts you may also see a 1 megohm resistor across the crystal, I have never used a resistor.

E

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
thanks for help!
in some circuits i have seen 22pf capacitors with a 20 MHz crystal for PIC16f877a oscillation circuit.
why there is variation??
Almost every PIC's datasheet I read comes with a little table like this in the "Oscillator Configuration" section. This one is for the PIC16F88:

crystal.jpg

Further down in the same section you can find the different configurations for each type of crystal.

Last edited: