Pic & Nokia 6100 LCD

E-Newbie

Joined Jun 28, 2007
Hello,

I hope someone would be kind enough to help me, I have been searching and reading about this for 3 days now and im completely confused.

I want to make a small compact as possible device with a Nokia 6100 or similar lcd, i wanted it to display a simple graphic or animation, this happens when a light sensor is activated, I wanted it to stop and switch off after about 30 seconds even if the light is still on, I also wanted it to display some graphic equalizer type animation, when music is played in the room. I would prefer it again to switch itself off after about 30 seconds.

Ive looked at some circuits to control the display, however these all seem to be to complicated for what I want to achieve, and the pics used seem to be way too large to squeeze into the space I have available. I think I can do the programming required to achieve what I wish to display, however I am stuck with the components and circuit layout. I hope someone could help me please?

Ive seen a design for connecting to a Nokia 3310 display instead, and this is simple and only uses a 12f675, I can find this in a smd package, however this may be a little too basic.

Really hope someone can help, sorry I have been searching for ages I am trying to learn but I am new to this and to electronics, I have read and tried to absorb all the examples I can find...

E-Newbie

Joined Jun 28, 2007
Hello

Ok, ive found an example that I may be able to use.

Does anyone know if i use the example at http://www.reifel.org/PICUserInterface/

If I replace the up button, with a microphone and the down button with a light sensor, remove the other two buttons, could this work??? Also would there be an alternative smaller pic i can use instead of 18F2620? I want to remove 3 of the 4 leds in the display, as i only need to display a small amount of data in one of the corners of the lcd.

I really hope someone can help, thank you for reading

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
My inclination was the audio processing would be too much for a PIC, but a search found someone who did it.

Microchip has some awesome libraries and utilities to make graphic displays (with touchscreens no less) that work with many products. It may be best to use a supported display to save writing the low level driver code.

E-Newbie

Joined Jun 28, 2007
I love this forum always helpful lovely people who help and reply straight away lol

I'm not actually wanting to do too much audio processing, I literally just want it to detect light and display a set animation or image and detect sound either through a mic or preferably connected directly to the other devices speaker and just sense the other device is playing something and therefore just display a different animation...

I need the LCD to be as thin as possible really, I took apart quite a few handsets and all the displays are quite big and fat, even on the 6100 I only want to use about a quarter of the overal display.

E-Newbie

Joined Jun 28, 2007
I'm looking at the uk microchip website but I can't make heads or tails of what I need, the sizes of the pics or the Lcds they support, etc :(

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Size is variable I believe. Here's a list from the latest library:
drvTFT001
drvTFT002
gfxepmp
HIT1270
HX8347
mchpGfxDrv
mchpGfxDrvBuffer
mchpGfxLCC
S1D13517
S1D13522
SH1101A_SSD1303
SSD1305
SSD1339
SSD1926
ST7529
TCON_HX8238
TCON_HX8257
TCON_SSD1289
UC1610

E-Newbie

Joined Jun 28, 2007
Thank u ErnieM I will look those up see where I can find them and which ever is the smallest/thinnest and cheapest lol

E-Newbie

Joined Jun 28, 2007
lol Hello folks, I read the disclaimer about this being an old post and I just wanted to say Thank you to ErnieM, in 2012 I have no idea what I was trying to invent here and ive just see this again after so long and I cant make heads or tails of what I was trying to do or make.

lol so ive just dug this up just to say thank you and sorry to ErnieM and if anyone has any clue as to what I was trying to make here please do let me know lol :)