Pic MCLR

yuanshikai

Joined Sep 17, 2011
Can anyone teach me all there is to the MCLR pin. I'm using the Pic16f877a chip. I want to know what the concept of reset means. Does it erase the program in the pic or just the ram? If just the ram, doesn't it delete itself if the device is turned off. And i would also like to know the recommended connections for this pin. Thanks in advance.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Can anyone teach me all there is to the MCLR pin. I'm using the Pic16f877a chip. I want to know what the concept of reset means. Does it erase the program in the pic or just the ram? If just the ram, doesn't it delete itself if the device is turned off. And i would also like to know the recommended connections for this pin. Thanks in advance.
Hi.

I guess this, says it all.

Don't forget to read the datasheet, found here. When you fiddle with an MCU, it's always handy to have the datasheet nearby.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
In your data sheet read about the reset in section 14.4 MCLR. The MCLR reset will not affect the program memory or the Data EEPROM. The data sheet will tell you the reset status for all the Special Function Registers (registers like PORTA,TRISB and so on). The