PIC driven 7 Segment displays

Joe Lavery

Joined May 21, 2009
Greetings all,

I'm trying to build a small circuit that simply lights 3 or 4, 7 segment displays using a PIC and controlled by an encoder. All it has to do is increase the value of the displays up or down as the encoder is rotated.

I wonder in anyone here has come accross such a design, it's to simulate a frequency display on a radio.

I have the facility to program the PIC but I ned help with the circuit design.

Thanks in advance

Joe.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Connect all the segments in parallel and then connect them to the one port of the PIC via resistors. Then use a transistor on each common pin of the displays to switch them on/off.

If you switch fast the displays in sequence and light the right LEDs on each one each time it is selected you will think that all displays are on all the time due to the persistence of vision phenomenon.

lightingman

Joined Apr 19, 2007
Hi,

Have you got the encoder?

If so, it is quite simple to do this. Basicaly the encoder has two outputs. Output "A" pulse occurs before "B" output in one direction and "B" before "A" in the other.

As for the display driving. You just use a CD4511 to drive the segments that are all connected together I.E: a to a, b to b and so on... You then drive each display from the output of the PIC (through a transistor). After reading the pulses from the encoder and storing the result in PIC RAM. You then send the segment data as a 4 bit binary output to the 5411 and output to the display to display that digit. You do this one digit at a time.

Daniel.