PIC compatibility

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by jksoft, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jksoft

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I am new to the world of PIC programming and am wondering how to tell which PICs are compatible with each other. For instance, I am building a circuit that specifies the PIC18F252 but am wondering if the newer PIC18F2520 can be substituted in its place? The pinouts are nearly identical with the few changes being additional functions for several pins to support new functionality. I have looked at the datasheets for both and the answer is still not clear to me.

Thanks,
    J

2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I haven't used either PIC but unless someone comes back with an answer I would recommend loading the code into the MPLab IDE and then running the simulator. Then change any lines in the code that reference the PIC type, and the device type in the simulator and test again.

3. jksoft

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    In this case, I am definitely in the first scenario where the wiring is already defined (PCB) and code has been written. I will try out Mark's suggestion with the simulator and see what happens.

Judging from what I see in the datasheets, they definitely appear to be compatible enough. I guess we will find out.

J