PIC based EEPROM programmer

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Hi everyone,

I like making simple machines (as many here know) and i allays had the problem with writing data to EEPROMS, maybe its poor quality switches or some weird messed up circuit. So basically i wanted to make an mk14 like machine that could program an EEPROM easily and show me the contents of memory.

Before i used DIP switches directly connected to the inputs of the memory chip, i could not view data and had to enter data in binary. What hell it brought, until.....chuck norris gave birth to the PIC :D

Here you can see (below) the machine in action (a little messy i know but i have ordered a low insertion socket for the memory chips). It has four function buttons, View memory, Set address, Set data, increment address and enter data. When in one of the four modes the first function key becomes the enter key. Data is still entered in binary BUT displayed in hex which is really nice.

Here is a link to my facebook photo album showing captions:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...93639830021.2137640.1519810295&type=1&theater

http://imageshack.us/f/847/p1010198e.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/p1010199m.jpg/

Any questions?
Want the source code? Want me to make you the circuit (which the answer is no ;D )?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The Completed Projects Forum is for Completed Projects only. It is meant to allow members to show plans for projects they built so other members can duplicate them if desired. You thread does not belong in this forum, so was moved to a more appropriate forum.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
It looks extremely user friendly. :D

I realize your excitement that it actually worked, and am happy for you! Now that you have the basics down, it just needs a bit of polish.

With all that extra I/O on the PIC, why not put it in a nice enclosure with a HEX keypad on it? (A-F go down the right side, to the right of 9 to .)

Put some tint over the LED, or get an enclosure that has a tinted LED window, and add a ZIF socket. Then design a label for all the displays, buttons, and which end the IC goes in the ZIF socket. Print the label out on glossy photo paper with a color laser printer (don't forget your logo and URL), apply 3M 77 spray adhesive to back of paper, and stick label on box. Maybe cut out the holes for button, socket, display, etc first.

Print another label to stick on the back that lists the supported devices, a 9V AC power adapter on the back, as well as an ICSP or USB port for firmware upgrades, and then it will be a completed project. Especially if you add in a logic IC identifier and tester database. :eek:

Congratulations on graduating past the PDP-11!

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Hey! I used to repair the PDP11! I loved that old core memory.
Yeah, things are too easy these days. Kids can build a robot with GPS but don't know Ohms law. I think it is great, but c'mon, some of the basics like Mitch is doing should be learned along the way. Life isn't "plug n play". :eek: