Pic as human interface

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Isn't it cheating to ask us for help on an exam? I'm not accusing anyone here I just want to know your opinion of the terms and conditions. If it isn't cheating then how is it fair for you to get the credit for our effort?

Shenks187

Joined May 16, 2009
No it is not cheating, we are allowed to use the computer and notes but everything has to be hand written and we hand writing takes much more time. I have attempted to answer the question to the best of my ability and I am just asking for assistance thats all. Also I am just asking for a open path so I no what to look for so I am getting credit for myself as well as you.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
Google is your friend -- it leads you to Wikipedia:
A human interface device or HID is a type of ... device that interacts directly with, and most often takes input from, humans and may deliver output to humans.
Your computer has at least two HIDs: the keyboard & the monitor.

--Rich
Good luck with the test!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No it is not cheating, we are allowed to use the computer and notes but everything has to be hand written and we hand writing takes much more time. I have attempted to answer the question to the best of my ability and I am just asking for assistance thats all. Also I am just asking for a open path so I no what to look for so I am getting credit for myself as well as you.
Using the computer to ask another person hardly seems within what I would consider the terms and conditions. Young people have a very different attitude on cheating than the one I grew up with. It must be a generational thing.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
PapaBravo --
The OP stated, "I have a microcontroller exam today and I have been given the question sheet", and, assuming he was given it by the teacher, I can't see how this is a serious examination. It reminds me of the weekly quizzes in Tech School in which the teachers would review the questions and answers just prior to the quiz!! (Otherwise, it was an excellent school.)

Anyway, it looks like the definition was what Shenks187 was looking for.

--Rich

P.S. -- Remember "Open Book" tests? I guess it's now "Open Computer"! ;)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yes, I certainly remeber open book tests. We also had a thing called the Honor Code in which required us to sign a pledge that we had neither given nor received aid. The whole point of an open book test is that the answers are "not in the book". An open book test requires the examinee to think critically and apply basic principals to solve problems.

I always interpreted "giving aid", and "receiving aid" as involving another person. I don't have a problem with "open computer" as long as it does not involve another person. Going on this forum and asking for aid on an examination certainly crosses the line in my opinion. Sure it is just a definition; what will it be next time?

If you take a poll among students you find a widespread acceptance of "cheating" to get ahead, because they perceive that it is the way the world in general and business in particular works. The problem with that attitude is that eventually it will catch up to you; and being exposed as a fraud can be quite painful.

If a degreed engineer with a phony PhD designs a bridge that falls into the Mississippi River; who 'ya gonna call? ---- Ghostbusters!

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
I believe we are "in violent agreement" as to the cheating part. Unfortunately(?) my voracious appetite for reading meant that school work came rather easy -- I did not need to really apply myself until about 12th grade.

As to "If you take a poll among students you find a widespread acceptance of "cheating" to get ahead, because they perceive that it is the way the world in general and business in particular works", I would say that has been reinforced by the likes of Bernie Madoff.

'Nuff filosifying!
--Rich

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I went back to graduate school from 2001 thru 2004. It was a joint program between the College of Engineering, the Mathematics Department, and the Business School. In the Engineering School Classes all of the students were supposed to be bound by the Honor Code. It meant nothing to the people from the business school, when the professor left the room they started chatting with each other and were mortified when they got turned in and flunked the examination. Most of them dropped the class rather than take a failing grade.