PIC and LCD display

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by poriet, Mar 5, 2010.

1. poriet

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Hello all,
    I'm just starting to learn PIC assembler using the gooligum tutorials ( which, BTW, I find excellent ). I have the PICkit2 with the low-pin count board. The gooligum tutorials settle on the 12F509, and use the LPC demo board. However, I think I want to go straight to making my own breakout board rather than mess with the LPC board. It also gives me the oiption of adding a beefier power supply if I use a load of LEDs. Another reason for ditching the LPC is that it wont do the 16F5X chips. I have these 3 chips ( 'F54, 'F57 and 'F59 ) and I thought I may as well use them.
    Moreover, I also have a few nifty little 8X2 intelligent LCD displays which I fancy using for projects. The F54 is a little short on pins, but the F57 has twenty I/O pins. Can I take it that:
    (a) I can use the F57 to run the LCD
    (b) I can aquire ( better still, steal ) assembler code for operating it from someone who knows what he's doing and link it to my .asm file in MPASM?

Bruce

2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I don't see any reason why not. You might be able to find some code if you google the part number of your LCD and PIC16F57. Failing that try PIC16F.
    Be careful though because the 16F5x don't have interrupts and only a 2 level stack which is quite limiting.

3. poriet

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Hello Mark,
    Thanks for that: I dont know enough about these ucontrollers to know whether the interrupts and stack will impact on making an LCD display actually display anything. It is unlikely to be terribly complicated; say a voltmeter.
    Why would the LCD part # be important? I thought these intelligent displays had a standard format.

Bruce

4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    The lack of interrupts and stack limitations are only something to consider if using code written for another PIC. Look out for any code that has more than 2 nested CALLs because it won't work.
    part # was probably the wrong thing to say, maybe interface type or just 8x2 LCD will find what you are looking for.

5. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Hi. Welcome to AAC
    I C you are a micro loving guy. :p
    Anyways, I too have started fiddling with pics, and believe me they can be a major pain in the back. but fun though.
    Great thing to learn.
    I'll say you start with just the basics as I did.
    I did try LCD and it was fun, but from my experience, my advice is that you learn the basics and then get some 16F88, they are cheap yet powerful, works well with LCD's.
    Jumping to LCD will confuse everything.
    Take it slow and yes one more thing, remember to read the data sheets carefully, it will save you a lot of trouble