PIC 18F2431 Programming Problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ericgibbs, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ericgibbs

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 29, 2010
    Hi,
    I am unable to program a 18F2431 PIC's using Picstart+, which has the latest firmware.

Reading online I see that others, using different PIC programmers are also having problems.

Has anyone a found a fix or a work around for this problem.?

Eric

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    You are right. There are a lot of issues reported with that chip. Have you tried some of the solutions, such a being sure AVss and AVdd are connected? (http://www.microchip.com/forums/m201072.aspx , post#2) What errors are you seeing?

John

3. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi John,
    I am getting the identical problem to that shown on the link you posted.
    I have read thru some of the solutions but I am a bit reluctant at this time to change the AV wiring in the Picstart+ prommer.

I was hoping for a firmware solution if possible.
    Eric

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I wouldn't change the PICstart either, but I would make an interposer board that plugs into the PICstart with a socket for the PIC makes the 1:1 connections and that also makes the extra AV connections.

If you're lucky you may be able to just insert two jumpers to make these connections without making the board (which has the huge benefit of testing the concept without making that interposer board).

5. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    Hi John,
    I bit the bullet and modified the Picstart+ as the link suggested, BUT as a precaution I put the jumper links on a 28 pin turned header socket and plugged that into the prommer ZIF socket, with the 18F2431 in the header socket, I got a successful PIC program.;)

Thanks for your help.
    Eric

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  6. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi Ernie,
    Just read your post, as you see I like you took the same approach as you suggested, I used a 28 pin header with the mod links.
    Eric

7. camerart

Feb 25, 2013
    I did the same thing, and got s successful PIC progam 18F2431 with Pickit2

C.