PIC 16F877A output a text file?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by QMD, Feb 13, 2011.

1. QMD

Thread Starter Member

Jun 30, 2010
    My friend and I are working on a project and wish to use a PICF877A microcontroller to output a text file to a computer. We plan to treat our microcontroller as an object (like a floppy disk or flash drive) and then open the text file as one would open a file on a disk. Any tips on how to go about this?

Thanks!

2. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    You can communicate serially with the computer and PIC using RS232, then retrieve the input line from hyperterminal. I would recommend using the PHP language to do the text retrieving operation.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  3. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Probably the easiest way would be to write to an SD memory chip and transfer the information that way.

Or use RS232 as Electronerd suggests.

Or get a USB enabled PIC and write to a thumb drive.

Your flash drive idea would require usb and would be a bit tricky.

4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Is this some sort of school assignment? And if so what is the design requirements. I am asking because USB is not the most easy thing to write apps for. So some deeper USB knowledge and programming skills will be needed for such a project. It may be to much in a beginner project

5. QMD

Thread Starter Member

Jun 30, 2010
    It is part of a design project. We may actually need to use a different PIC model (suggestions?) One that can take two serial inputs and one serial output? The output will go to a bluetooth module, which will send data to a laptop.

6. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    With some limitations, you can use any processor which has a single serial port, and write the code for a second serial port yourself. The limitations principally are that the software serial port can't be full duplex (can only receive or transmit at any given time) but if you only want to receive, that's not a problem.