Pic 16f5x (pic 1650)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Do you know this old datasheet? It is from 1977!

PIC 16F5X is very similar to this. The instruction set is almost the same, if not identical.

So this is a hint how outdated 16F84, 16F630 etc. really are.

But this is not the purpose of the thread.

Simply, I guess maybe some people don't know this old datasheet.

http://pic.hitechworld.org/data/pic16xx.pdf

When I say "outdated", I do not mean these chips should not be used. They can have advantages. For instance easy configuration.

I just mean users should be aware that more modern PICs do exist. And often they are even cheaper. I am talking about 18F.

But if people take action, remove this old 16F84 stuff, rebuild it for 18F, it won't be a wrong thing to do. Myself I have rebuilt many of my circuits, sometimes 6 or 7 times, and even more times. All this effort in order to increase level of technology.

I also regularily search the web for PIC circuits. When I do this, I always encounter new blogs that I did not notice before. There must be some 100s out there, at least.

But I rarely ever see people abandoning old prototypes, rebuilding them, and trying to increase level of technology.

Attachments

Last edited:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Interesting datasheet. I like the current setting for the output pins, if that could be done in code it would be a handy feature today.

I used to work with a man that had worked for GI on the PIC's.
The original PIC was built up using TTL logic to simulate it.
It took a good few amps !!
He said PIC stood for peripheral interface chip.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P General Electronics Chat 25