PIC 16f54 minute counter

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012

small project, a 2-digit LED timer.

I use one of my 4-digit LED display PCBs here, but wired a different LED display. And the firmware was reprogrammed completely in XC8 (originally based on assembler, the serial receive code takes most of the 512 words space already so not easily possible to change this to C. But, eventually I will change the controller to 16f716 (pin compatible), and use C anyway.

The LED timer counts in seconds after startup, then changes to minutes after 60 seconds. The seconds are also flashed every second, for a short moment.

That's pretty much it! Built this in one evening. The battery (CR2032) is lasting about one day as for now but I don't think it will last more than 2 days.

The source code is attached, schematics is just 1:1 connection all port bits to the LED display. Might be difficult/requiring time to adapt you need to recode the tables for different displays, and it also depends on the PCB layout. But there are no extra parts, just the 32768 Hz crystal, a 4.7K resistor for MCLR, pushbutton for reset, and the PIC + display.

But once you worked out decoding tables for a known PCB layout/known display, you can use other displays using manual wiring, if need be.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I need to see a real schematic for this to be accepted, in a standard graphic format. I also need the source files to program the pic, preferably in hex format, along with a decent parts list (sources for parts are option, but would be nice). Basically there needs to be enough information to duplicate this project in it's entirety, presented as simply as possible.

You have enough posts to be able to completely edit your 1st post on this thread. Think in terms of a presentation. After this project meet the criteria set in the sticky I will remove this comment (and any others in the future that distract from this thread) to keep it neat and clean, and add it to the index after.

If it doesn't meet the criteria (as defined by the moderating staff) then this thread will be moved to the projects forum two weeks from this date. If it is brought up to snuff afterwards contact me and we'll move it back.

The idea is not to prevent you from posting your project, but to meet a minimum level of quality for this forum.

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
OK I will try to post schematic, as Eagle file + picture, and the source code is attached already.

The original PCB file is lost, what I have here is a drawing with the PIN correlations, and of course the original intended 4-digit display.

So I will write some kind of pin/LED display digit correlation table.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Eagle files are not standard graphic formats.

Think .gif or .png.

The idea is some one without specialized tools can view it, if you want to include extra please do, but simple is usually best.

I use M/S Paint, I also use screenshots when dealing with specialized displays such as what PCB Express uses. Not every one uses the same programs, which is why the basic standard graphic displays are pushed and preferred.

I am much weaker when it comes to programming standards, but I am under the impression that hex files are easy to program a standard PIC with. I am working that weakness, partly to do the job here, partly to improve myself.

Again, the idea is minimum fuss, and no specialized tools that can be avoided.

This post will also self destruct when the project is updated.