Physics Theoretical Max Data Transfer.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
1 hert, is 1 cycle per second.

Does that mean, if you made a serial type connection, you could send 1 bit every second....

60,000 hz, 60,000 bits person second? see where i'm going with this, does the number of hz represents max data transfer speed?....

I mean, take infrared, it's very slow, except for the 1 company who's made a 1gigabit transfer speed, UMC i think the company behind this, but infrared has a much much higher frequency than any radio frequency including wifi, bluetooth, so could we one day see infrared take advantage of it's wavelength for some pretty amazing transfer speeds between devices?... > 1terrabit, speeds radio just can't handle due to it's longer wavelengths.

It's a question been plaguing my mind for a while....

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
By definition waves are repetitive functions. Each cycle is an identical copy of any other.

In this context the concept of frequency is valid as it is the reciprocal of the time between equivalent points on adjacent cycles.

But data is sent in pulses, not waves. So you can have say two pulses then nothing then fifteen pulses then.... In other words the pulses are irregularly spaced in time. Further a pulse is not a complete cycle as the amplitude has not returned to where it started from. If we start from zero and produce a positive going pulse which then returns to zero the last thing is negative going. So the pulse is only half a "cycle".
We normally talk about PRR or pulse repetition rate.

Further the pulse contains two transitions. The first is zero/+V the second is +V/0 ie the leading a trailing edges of the pulse. Both are capable of carrying a single information bit.

So 1 pulse per second can be read as 1 bit per second or 2 bits per second, depending upon the digital system.