Phone numbers ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mathematics!, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    So I alway use the numbers to dial.
    But I have been getting into using the letters like 1-800-comcast
    or 1-800-AMTRAK-2

My question is there are 3 letters on each number so take
    for example 1800-555-8888 this could corrospond to 1800-LLL-UUUU
    or 1800-JJJ-TTTT

How do they know there will be no conflict.
    And who allocates the letters that corrospond to the numbers.

My other question is is there a train that runs east and west that allows you to place your car on it. Like the amtrak from washington/virgina to florida. Other then ofcourse cargo trains / non commutor trains

Maybe I will just give a call to the train station they will know :)
    Thats the other side of think that I was missing LOL
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    They don't allocate "letters" they allocate numbers. You register a number then when someone else wants a number, there is a big database somewhere that is searched. Pretty simple.
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I have made a program called phone permutations several times, in BASIC. It prints out every combination of letters that can be made with phone numbers. A human then goes through and sees if any make sense.

Commercial probably has people working with the phone company to pick numbers that can be a catchy phrase, this is why they pay ad agencies.
  4. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    The telecom companies buy blocks of numbers, you can then search their numbers to get the one you want. My friend got lucky with his cell and got like 500-4000. But many VOIP companies let you pick your number so you can play around with that will make a name for number. As far as 1800 numbers they sell them then run out and add a new one like 1866, 1877, its kinda like the .com issue.