Phone charging

Viola

Joined Jan 6, 2014
I have a HTC Wildfire A3333 but am experiencing problems with charging it. Although I have tried different power outlets, including USB, the battery only lasts 1-2 hours. However, when I was in another city and on a ferry, the battery lasted for around 30 hours! This was using the same charger. I have come to the conclusion that the problem lies with the power in my city as this is the only variable. How can I rectify this problem?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have come to the conclusion that the problem lies with the power in my city as this is the only variable.
It's not the only variable. Cellphone battery usage depends on screen brightness, the power being consumed by the wifi radio, the cell radio, the bluetooth radio, and then the processor usage - roughly in that order. There are apps to help you determine where the battery is going.

I would guess you saw better usage when these other factors were working coincidentally in your favor.

Now, if your phone is not actually charging properly, that's a different story.

Viola

Joined Jan 6, 2014
I don't have wifi or Bluetooth connected on my phone, just regular calls and texts. My phone tells me battery usage is cell standby (45%), phone idle (40%), android system(10%) and display(5%), which is what it usually is even in the other city. Should I just buy a new battery or phone, or would an adaptor/transformer help it charge better?

Viola

Joined Jan 6, 2014
Now, if your phone is not actually charging properly, that's a different story.[/QUOTE]

It charges fine, just the battery dies within a couple of hours in my city. Elsewhere it lasts for over a day.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
It charges fine, just the battery dies within a couple of hours in my city. Elsewhere it lasts for over a day.
So it's not

that the problem lies with the power in my city as this is the only variable
I wouldn't rely too much on what Android says has been consumed. If the signal is weak in your building the cellular radio will consume more power contacting the cell. It does this whether or not you make calls.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Should I just buy a new battery or phone, or would an adaptor/transformer help it charge better?
I don't think any of those will help. Talk to your carrier, and to friends with other carriers. Your phone is likely boosting cell radio power in order to find a tower. Perhaps you are "roaming". There may be settings you (or your carrier) can apply to reduce this.

Viola

Joined Jan 6, 2014
Thanks so much for all your help! I will speak to my server and see what's going on. Happy new year to all!