phone charger with a bicycle dynmp

harshanika

Joined Dec 19, 2016
i have no idea about the circuit for a dynmo barely found these pictures on google.
hqdefault.jpg dynamo battery charger circuit.png

glad if you can draw me a suitable circuit.
thank you :)

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC.
glad if you can draw me a suitable circuit.
You need to define "suitable". The circuit in your post is a voltage regulator which can be adjusted to output a fixed voltage for a charging a variety of batteries, but has no provision for controlling charge current or detecting when the battery is fully charged. If your phone can do the charge control (most can) then setting the regulator to output 5V should work. However, some phones need to negotiate with the charging source for anything above a minimum charge current.
You will have to do a lot of cycling to charge a phone battery.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Use your dynamo generator to charge a 12 - 24 volt battery or large super capacitor bank and then use a common automotive USB charger adapter to supply the stable 5 volt power to whatever want to charge.

You will be time and money ahead to use a common USB power adapter rather than build your own.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Agree. The LM317 is a linear regulator and so will be inefficient compared to a very cheap 12V-to-USB adapter you can buy.

It would help to know what the output of the dynamo is, at max cycling speed.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Agree. The LM317 is a linear regulator and so will be inefficient compared to a very cheap 12V-to-USB adapter you can buy.

It would help to know what the output of the dynamo is, at max cycling speed, and the specs of the battery.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
20 years ago when I did far more with automotive and portable electronics I would have loved to have had the cheap $5 and less USB charger adapters to work with! ~8 - 32 volt input range with a stable clean 5 VCD 1 - 2 amps output in a package less than 1 cubic inch in size!

It solves so many mobile power supply problems at once for a price that's unbeatable. ;)