Phone call from Windows Support!

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I received my usual monthly call from Windows Service Support advising me of the fact my computer was spewing out some corrupted emails etc.
When I first received these calls just over a year ago from Islamabad or whatever part of the Indian subcontinent they originate from I used to get irritated and impatient with the whole scam.
Since then I sort of look forward to it, Now I dream up all kinds of wind ups to keep the guy hoping he has me hooked.
It usually ends with a response which I assume is some kind of cursing in either Hindi or Punjabi.
Anyone else have a ploy.
Max.
Never, under any circumstances, log into the "control" site they try to get you to go to.

Here is what they did to one person who did:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-04/11/malwarebytes

What happens if you play along with a Microsoft 'tech support' scam?

////////////////////////

At this point the scammer gets spiteful, takes control of Segura's computer and deletes all of the documents from his computer. The scammer then looks for more ways to corrupt the system, heading to device manager to delete the Ethernet adapter driver. Before deleting, he posts "bye ass---e" (sic) in the TeamViewer chat log.

Segura asks the operator who was deleting the files on his computer, and why the technician called him an ass---e. A male voice replies that the "technician is always correct. If he is saying that you are something then you must be. He cannot be wrong."

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I received my usual monthly call from Windows Service Support advising me of the fact my computer was spewing out some corrupted emails etc.////
Anyone else have a ploy.
Max.
I convinced one of the guys calling that I was handicapped and had a special handicapped keyboard. Whatever key he told me to press, I would tell him my keyboard doesn't have it and ask him to describe what it looked like....

Another idiot who called said he "worked for Windows."

What followed:

ME: "You work for Microsoft?"

HIM: "No, I work for Windows."

ME: "That's impossible.... Windows is an operating system owned by Microsoft. Are you saying you work for an operating system?"

HIM: "Uhhhh....."

ME: "Whose name appears on your paychecks?"

:D

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I have only a cellphone for business and personal. When the the bogus calls started I grouped everyone in my contacts list (people/clients I want to hear from) and assigned them a 'special ringtone'. The default ringtone for everyone else is 3 sec of silence. If the silent ringtone means I don't get a new legitimate call they'll leave a message. The bogus ones never do.