phasor rectangular to polar

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
-110° is not in the 4th quadrant, it is in the third, but that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the process requires you to convert from polar to rectangular, do the addition, and then convert back to polar. You cannot do addition and subtraction of phasors in polar form. You can do multiplication and division of phasors in polar form. Do you agree with that?

Asad ahmed1

Joined Feb 10, 2016
-110° is not in the 4th quadrant, it is in the third, but that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the process requires you to convert from polar to rectangular, do the addition, and then convert back to polar. You cannot do addition and subtraction of phasors in polar form. You can do multiplication and division of phasors in polar form. Do you agree with that?
yes I do but i want to ask that the arctan-2.698\1.754
lies in 4th quadrant i read threads and in that

1. IF x > 0 // Quadrants I and IV
  2. angle = atan(y/x)
  3. ELSE
  4. IF y > 0 // Quadrant II
  5. angle = atan(y/x) + 180°
  6. ELSE // Quadrant III
  7. angle = atan(y/x) - 180
why we left 4th quadrant why not 2pi-theta

the atan() function will give you the correct results if you are in quadrants I and IV. If you are in quadrant I the angle will be positive. If you are in quadrant IV the angle will be negative. There is no need to adjust the result of the equation on line 3.

A positive angle is a counter-clockwise rotation from the positive x-axis. A negative angle is just a clockwise rotation from the positive x-axis. We can convert between the two by either adding or subtracting 360 degrees from our angles.