Phasor Addition

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi guys,

I was wondering i f phasor addition could be cleared up.

I have attached a question I have, the original diagram being on the left. The question asked me to find the magnitude of the addition of the two phasors (which represent components).

Is it the case the we add the magnitude of the distance of the end of each phasor form the origin, as in the top right? Or simply from point to point, as in bottom right?

Many thanks for your time,

Sparky

Attachments

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi Sparky,

I would assume the red magnitude starts at 0 since that is the standard form of a phasor diagram.

Remember, when you add the phasors you cannot simply add the magnitudes together. You have to add the X components, add the Y components, then use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the new magnitude.

Hope this helps!
Regards,
Matt

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Yes, thanks Der.

I was thinking that would be the case too. Many thanks for clearing it up. Exam on Wednesday, hehehe. :)

Sparky

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Thanks, I had a beauty of a Computer Networks exam, which is the one that I am perhaps the 'least confident' on. Just an Electrical Engineering exam on Wednesday and a maths exam on Thursday and I'll be finished. :D

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Thanks, I had a beauty of a Computer Networks exam, which is the one that I am perhaps the 'least confident' on. Just an Electrical Engineering exam on Wednesday and a maths exam on Thursday and I'll be finished. :D
And then your real education begins.:D Good luck!