phase shifted signals addition

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by chandann, Jul 2, 2012.

1. chandann

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Hi,

Please suggest a circuit thru which i can add two phase shifted signal.

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    How about a summing amplifier?

What does the phase shift have to do with it, unless you are talking about "add" to mean something other than V1+V2.

3. chandann

Jul 2, 2012
    I tried with summing amplifier , it is not working for two out of phase signals. It works well for the two in phase signals .

4. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    It often helps if you post a schematic of what you have already tried.

5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    When you say it isn't working for two out of phase signals, what do you mean? What do you expect to see? What are you actually seeing?

6. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    This one works for me OK ...

7. chandann

Jul 2, 2012
    I was expecting zero or almost zero o/p signal with 2 out phase signals & of same amplitude at the input. Am getting o/p as if the circuit is connected with any one i/p to 0V. & one more input to say sme 200mV~.
    &
    the circuit is same as the attached in the above post. Except that am using single supply op-Amp so giving vcc/2 voltage as vref to +terminal of OP-AMP.

Thank you all.

8. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Is this in simulation or with actual hardware?

What do you mean by "out of phase"? Just two phases that aren't equal? 180 degrees out of phase? 90 degrees out of phase? What?

How big are the two input signals?

If you are using a physical circuit and are putting in one signal that is, say, 5V in amplitude and the other one is 5V in amplitude but out of phase by 180 degrees, then I would expect zero or near zero output. But what you describe sounds pretty much like that -- the output looks like one input is 0V and the other input is 200mV. Thus, I suspect that if you adjusted one of the input signals up (or possibly down) by just 200mV, you will see your "near zero" output condition.

If that's the case, what might be happening?

How sure are you that the amplitudes of your two input signals are actually the same?

How perfect are your input resistors? What if one of them is, say, 5% larger than the other?

9. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Do you mean either of the options shown in the attachment? The left hand form won't work.