"Phantom" member -- possible bug/security issue?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Hypatia's Protege, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Hypatia's Protege

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Kind friends...

Although I received an alert to the effect that member @ARTS 'is now following you' (as of Tuesday Apr 19 -- 5:22 AM CDT), said user would seem to be invalid (e.g. attempting to follow the 'profile page' link on the 'quick-navigation popup' returns the following message:
    Nor is 'ARTS' recognized as a valid user via search nor inline reference (i.e. via "@username")

ARTS is not shown in my 'followers list' and my 'followers count' is consistent with the number of shown followers... That said - 'hovering' over 'follow' on the 'quick-navigation popup' generates a 'balloon' advising that:
    thus it would not appear mere issue of a 'rescinded follow'...

Please advise ASAP

Best regards
    HP

Edit --- Following posting of the above, I notice that clicking on @ARTS triggers the 'quick-navigation popup' for said user --- even so, said user is not recognized while entering the inline reference (tag) - nor by any other feature of this site (available to myself)...

Edit 2 --- Thread title edited for compliance:)

Thanks!:)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    It's simple: "ARTS" was our old friend RK, trying to defeat the permanent ban placed on him by sneaking back in under another username. After starting a couple of his customarily whacky threads, staff deleted his account along with the threads.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  3. jrap

Administrator

Jun 25, 2006
    It appears that user has set their profile to private or was banned.
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/account/privacy

**Edit** - OBW0549 is correct.

By the way, did the following warning show up when you created this thread? Just want to confirm if it's working or not.
    upload_2016-4-28_10-40-10.png

4. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    Thank you for the clarification!:)

The message did not appear --- That said, please be advised that I first entered said text to the 'body field' (for the benefit of spell correction) then moved it to the 'title field' via 'cut and paste' -- Perhaps 'paste' inadvertently circumvents said message?

Again many thanks!
    HP:)

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

In the pop-up, you can see that the username has strikethrough.
    This is an indication that the user is banned.

Bertus

6. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    Hi, @bertus -- Thanks for your reply!:)

Please be advised that no 'strike-through' is apparent (despite forum style settings):confused: -- Please see the attached screen-captures (below):

Original style:

OriginalStyle.jpg

New Style:

NewStyle.jpg

Best regards
    HP

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  7. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Than the strikethrough might only be visible by moderators and administrators.
    Sorry for the confusion.

Bertus