PFC controller as a capacitors charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehezkel2

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello,

I am thinking of using a PFC boost-converter in order to charge big capacitors off mains power.

I have read that PFC converters are made for charging a DC-bus of 370 to 390 volts usually, with low accuracy (no voltage regulation)

In my application I need to charge big 360v capacitors to 360 volts (a bank of about 6000uF, which will be discharged in a short pulse after being charged (every few seconds).
I aim for charge duration of about 1 second (380J bank charge in 1s = 380 Watts)

My question is, can it be done ?

1. How do i set my wanted 360v instead of the usual 390v ? be lowering resistance between the high voltage and the feedback input of the controller ?
  2. By doing the opposite, can I set the PFC converter to charge capacitors to steady 500 volts for example if i had to ?
  3. In theory, with PFC i am using more of the sine wave to charge the capacitor, right ?
    because with a rectifier it will charge only at the top of the sine wave, and doing nothing when the wave voltage is under the capacitor voltage.
    While with PFC it will continuously pump voltage into the capacitor even when the momentary sine wave voltage is lower than the capacitor's.
    am I correct ?
  4. And a good PRO is that my device already has a good Power Factor, and fully compatible with 90-260v AC power :)

please share your thoughts

I really like the simplicity of MC33260
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MC33260-D.PDF

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service

Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.