Pfaff

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009

See the picture....You might wonder how I end up with this again & again & again...<snip>l!! that's what I love most about this place

It's an embroidery Machine but a small one. Costs around $2000.00
STO Electronics sells 'em and yes they also sells the "Philips" and "Hitachi" products too. STO electronics is a well know name in Maldives. Ask any body and they will tell you, what, who, where....huh!!

And, yes it's the same place where I got an old under the desk dealer fired. He opened a new shop selling Philips stuff :eek:. How !!! I wonder...but recently when down the sewer. Like everyone else.

They also claim that they can and will fix PFAFF machines, since they sell them at a hefty price.
I got to fix one of 'em since one of my relative bought the same thing. And the second time I couldn't fix it due to my situation. It overlapped my moving days last year or so. So it went to the critically acclaimed Philips Service Center.

There it stood for a year, ( story is.. parts..not available , come tomorrow ...yadi ....yadi...yada....) after a threatening law suite they gave a new one to my Aunt. So tht's tht..but what about the customers that do not have a way to do what they did.

Once again the story continues...

This machine belongs to a friend of my aunt and since I did fixed aunt machine first time she gave her my no. and it came the way of the inevitable....

No power...dead...it's been to our famous places as far as I know.
Stay tuned for further development. :D

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Tough Luck....Just a dry joint :(

Screen lits and that's it.....oh well!!! Time to get cracking ;)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Poked around and found a dead short across one of the supply output.

Since I did fiddle with a similar thing I just desoldered the Stepper Drivers.
All of 'em :D

It seems that prior desoldering was done, so reheating the IC's took it's toll. Some pads came off...oh well!!

Checked...the short is gone...powered up ...still nothing.

This thing has one OTP and 3 Stepper drivers from allegro.
All I can see or here is the beep when the button's are pressed.

Well....at least that tells me the μC is functioning :D.
Dunno how well , problem is this machine has resistive touch screen.

I think this is the perfect time to fool around with my ST's Discovery thingy .....dunno whether the μC will be compatible or not

Attachments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U do? Ahhh!! The Family ladies are sewing. yeah, same thing here.
My mom and dad are really good tailors in the old days.....so we have a few sewing machine. But we do not own a cnc type.

John..like to ask you something...do you have PFAFF store or anything where you live?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There is a Pfaff store nearby (Pins and Needles), but I am fairly sure it doesn't have any parts. I suspect it could order them. Pfaff is relatively expensive in the USA. As for sewing, I have been doing my own tailoring for more than 30 years. It's fun.

John

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
You are a tailor...nice..reminds me of my dad...

So ...is anyone out there who lives or knows a Pfaff service center. I like to know where I can get the OTP if it comes to that.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Thank God...I at least found one that could provide me something...
I am working on the controller part.

As work progresses, you'll know from the thread.

God bless you friend.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Managed to find a few faults in the controller Assy after a few sleepless nights :D

The 5V DC converter is fried, no problem on finding that component.

In order to check the rest of the circuitry, applied 5V separately. Current draw was over the roof. So waited a few secs and something started cooking. :eek:

Touched around and found the Display controller chip cooking. Removed the display unit, nothing else seem to heat up, For now I cannot confirm that the μC is intact as for the rest of the chips.

I like nerdugutta to check Pfaff store if they sell these parts. Whole Assy or separate chips, I don't mind.
If you don't mind, can you find me the pricing and how I can place an order for the required parts.
The model can be seen from the first post. Rest is below.

The Controller with Display

Display Back

Controller front, Display removed

In the Display back Pic, U can see the heated up controller chip

If you need any info, please ask.

Thank you

Last edited:

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Of course I will check around. :)

To clarify: You need to know the pricing/delivery for a display unit to a Pfaff Performance 2056? Or pricing/delivery for the display chip to the same machine?

I will start my search immediately. :)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Pfaff schematics are Secure PDFs or I'd help you out on this.

What is the exact model number and I'll see if I can find out details on parts for you.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Usually chips don't fail without a reasonable cause. Perhaps when the 5V power supply failed the output voltage shot up and cooked some ICs. If you're lucky only the display chip has bitten the dust, but the MCU might have gone too. Are there any other regulators or power supplies on the board, for example 3.3V LDOs?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
@ thatoneguy.

It's a "Performance 2056"..that's the model.
Do you think you can get a schema....?

@ jens
Thank you for doing this ....

Try to find all the info, anything and everything about the PCB and Display as I yet dunno about the rest of the chips, and or how Pfaff sells the PCB's.

I have placed an order via retched for the stepper drivers.

Since the 35V was sagging with chips soldered. Desoldering them got the 35V working and proved that one or two chip is fried.

Next thing was the DC to DC converter chip was warming up. A 5V output is down by 4.2V. Which tells me either the converter is faulty or the something is loading it too much. Disconnecting the Supply does not seem to get the 5V up. So that chip is too fried.
After applying 5V separately the LCD chip overheated proving that it was the culprit loading the supply.

My conclusion is that this machine first had failed DC converter or LCD chip. Since the customer told me that it just died when she was sewing.
The other damages I would say were due to mishandling from the wannabees that are here.

Since this is the case I am not sure that the other chips are intact.
Since the Controller has 2 μC's, A Programmable flash and Memory chips..

It would be wise to check the price of a complete Controller PCB with the Display.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Usually chips don't fail without a reasonable cause. Perhaps when the 5V power supply failed the output voltage shot up and cooked some ICs. If you're lucky only the display chip has bitten the dust, but the MCU might have gone too. Are there any other regulators or power supplies on the board, for example 3.3V LDOs?
Failure is most often supply spikes/surges, less often a motor failure that destroys the output drivers. They are built like a tank mechanically.

Repair is most often "board level", similar to a PC, where the mainboard, display board, or power board are the replacement part. Usually power supply failures can be fixed at the component level, provided it didn't fail catastrophically, as R!f@@'s appears to have.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Today I've talked to five peoples in five different Pfaff reseller and service centers. The last was the an importer. She said that the repair man will be back tomorrow, at around 10.00, and that I should call back then.

She said also "If they have the parts in Germany, it's no problem to get them. But not before Christmas." So I said January would be fine. :)

Guess this was kind of good news.

PS: I will not order any, just check price/availability and maybe some papers.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Today I've talked to five peoples in five different Pfaff reseller and service centers. The last was the an importer. She said that the repair man will be back tomorrow, at around 10.00, and that I should call back then.

She said also "If they have the parts in Germany, it's no problem to get them. But not before Christmas." So I said January would be fine. :)

Guess this was kind of good news.

PS: I will not order any, just check price/availability and maybe some papers.
That's the best news I have ever heard this year :D.

Get me the prices of everything first. After that we can discuss the shipping methods.
See to it how they are selling the parts. Like Part of PCB or Full PCB.

Thanks Mate...till then.
Wishing you & your family a very Happy New Year

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L General Electronics Chat 6