Personal Amplifier (hard hearind)

aris

Joined May 5, 2010
Hi
I would like to build a small amplifier that would amplify the sounds during a conversation for a relative of mine that can no t hear that well (or I should say can hear only when I am shouting:D). This is to work with mini headphones and have a volume control.
Could you please guys suggest any circuit for this purpose please.

Thanks Aris

dsp_redux

Joined Apr 11, 2009
Is it a battery powered device you are planning to build? The simplest I can think is a Mic->Amplifier->Headphone setup. Do you want to use opamp in your circuit or only transistors? Good sound quality vs loudness... etc. Please give use a bit of details so we can try to fit your need.

aris

Joined May 5, 2010
Well the configuration you describe I believe it fits the purpose. I do not have any particular preferences between opamps or transistors but I would like the quality to be good. Yes I was thinking about a battery operated one (2xAA or something like that.)
what is the difference between opamps and transistors?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Most of these devices have automatic gain control so the user doesn't have to constantly adjust the volume. Might be worth looking into, you should be able to find some circuits easily enough.

aris

Joined May 5, 2010
Could someone please provide me with a schematic for such an application please.
I have found so many to the net that I do not know which to use...:D

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Could someone please provide me with a schematic for such an application please.
I have found so many to the net that I do not know which to use...:D
Here is one I built for myself, as I am hard of hearing. The SA571 compresses the audio so it is all about the same level. On half of the op amp is used as a battery monitor and turns on the LED when the battery is low.

Attachments