Permanent alternative to breadboard, without chemicals?

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Hi!
I'm looking for (and without finding) some kind of permanent circuit board, where you can make your own circuit with wires and flat circuits directly on the plate.

I know about pcb, but I understand you need chemicals and such? Is there any kind of plate where you can just cut out/attach circuits on a board? (so basicaly pcb without chemicals?)

-EDIT-
I will be able to do soldering, and drill own holes for wires on the circuit.
--------
-EDIT2-
Is buying a simple plate of a resistant material a good idea? Like acrylic plastic? And then drill holes for wires and solder them on? But some way of making flat wires too is needed...
--------
Thanks!

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi!
I'm looking for (and without finding) some kind of permanent circuit board, where you can make your own circuit with wires and flat circuits directly on the plate.

I know about pcb, but I understand you need chemicals and such? Is there any kind of plate where you can just cut out/attach circuits on a board? (so basicaly pcb without chemicals?)

-EDIT-
I will be able to do soldering, and drill own holes for wires on the circuit.
--------
-EDIT2-
Is buying a simple plate of a resistant material a good idea? Like acrylic plastic? And then drill holes for wires and solder them on? But some way of making flat wires too is needed...
--------
Thanks!
Wire wrap is a good, easy (once you learn the technique) way to make a permanent yet repairable circuit. Just buy a wire wrapping tool, wire and IC sockets that are designed for wire wrapping.

Check out the how-to videos on youtube.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Buzzz.
Wrong answer. File too large.
Google: turret boards by Tubedepot
Looking for: turret_boards_v1.pdf
2.8 megs

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
...snip... some kind of permanent circuit board, where you can make your own circuit with wires and flat circuits directly on the plate.

Check out "Manhattan style construction".

I used a "manual CNC" method when I was an R&D Tech 35 years ago. I'd gold plate some copper clad, use an End Mill to remove copper, then place and solder components. I didn't use the copper islands and glue of the Manhattan Style, I went for 3D, point-to-point, rats nest style.

Last edited:

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Wire wrap is a good, easy (once you learn the technique) way to make a permanent yet repairable circuit. Just buy a wire wrapping tool, wire and IC sockets that are designed for wire wrapping.

Check out the how-to videos on youtube.
Yea I guess this is best for me ^^ I also found what I need at a good local price, so I'll go with this. Thanks for the help!

Buzzz.
Wrong answer. File too large.
Google: turret boards by Tubedepot
Looking for: turret_boards_v1.pdf
2.8 megs
I didn't know about these :D Thanks for the info! I found some cheap but good boards with holes all over them, so I'll buy that with some wire and stuff, so I dont need to drill a lot of holes :p Thanks for the help!

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Check out "Manhattan style construction".

I used a "manual CNC" method when I was an R&D Tech 35 years ago. I'd gold plate some copper clad, use an End Mill to remove copper, then place and solder components. I didn't use the copper islands and glue of the Manhattan Style, I went for 3D, point-to-point, rats nets style.
This was a cool method actually :D Thanks for the help! I have now got some more insight from you guys on different ways, so I'll go with the most suitable for me which I can buy locally.

Thank you everyone for the help!
~ Off to the store I goooo

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I just buy breadboards with a sea of plated holes on 0.1" centers. These allow direct attachment of small SMD parts and lap soldered wire. For larger chips I use sockets for DIP packages or adapter boards for things like SOIC packages.

Most of my parts come from China thru EBay. When I get back home I can post some pictures and links.

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
I just buy breadboards with a sea of plated holes on 0.1" centers. These allow direct attachment of small SMD parts and lap soldered wire. For larger chips I use sockets for DIP packages or adapter boards for things like SOIC packages.

Most of my parts come from China thru EBay. When I get back home I can post some pictures and links.
Great, thanks! :D

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Another way is to find a machine shop that has a water or laser cutting center.

If all the connection points are continuous, that technique is low cost, but you can't make "islands". Advanced shops have "direct control" of the CNC process and they can use a compatible CAD file without manually setting up the guiding process.

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Another way is to find a machine shop that has a water or laser cutting center.

If all the connection points are continuous, that technique is low cost, but you can't make "islands". Advanced shops have "direct control" of the CNC process and they can use a compatible CAD file without manually setting up the guiding process.
That sounds dangerous and scary and weird and pointy and even more dangerous.

MOM!!! D:

(thanks for the help still! ^^)

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
These (post #13) are called strip boards. They have strips of copper. The boards with a dot of copper around each hole are called pad-per-hole. ;)
Great, thanks for the info :D I ordered some of these along with a lot of other cool stuff for my Arduino, which will make me able to actually build something with not only a breadboard :)
Must wait a week tho.... :C

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I'm dismayed someone finally mentioned strip boards. The material itself is of the lowest quality and it takes somewhat involved planning to use it.

While I have some in my general stock boxes I don't think the stars will ever align properly to see a need where it would be the best solution.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I've had good results with wire wrap also, even on sensitive analog circuits. I use blank, copperless Perfboard with IC sockets staked down with either epoxy or hot glue. Discrete components are mounted using Vector T44 wire wrap pins, and instead of a copper ground plane I construct a ground grid from heavy gauge tinned bus wire. Surface mount chips are soldered onto SMT-to-DIP headers (the ones from Adafruit are inexpensive and good quality) and socketed.

It takes a bit of practice to become good at this construction method, and it's a bit laborious; but it does result in a circuit which, as GopherT said, is both permanent yet can be modified if needed. It also causes MUCH less damage to my sanity than stripboard, which I tried only once.