Periodontist specializes in the area of periodontium

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Morgan47, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Morgan47

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Periodontics is the branch of dentistry that deals with the periodontium. Periodontium means the tissue covering and supporting the tooth. The periodontium includes the gingiva, periodontal ligaments, root cementum, and the supporting alveolar bone. The periodontium is subject to morphological and functional variations and changes associated with age.

Disease of the periodontium occurs in childhood, adolescence and even early adulthood. But the prevalence, tissue destruction and tooth loss associated with this increases with age.

Infection is mostly caused by bacteria present in the oral cavity. They form plaque which, if not removed hardens to form calculus or tartar. These hard deposits cling to the teeth and are saturated with disease causing bacteria. They cause infection of tissues, surrounding and supporting the teeth. The consequence of these infections ranges from simple bleeding gums to early loss of teeth.

So the role of a Periodontist is to prevent the occurrence, curb the spread of damage caused by the infection. A periodontist specializes in a variety of surgical and non-surgical treatment.

A non-surgical periodontal treatment is done in the early and moderate stages of periodontal disease called gingivitis. This is done to remove the bacterial plaque from the surface of the teeth. Scaling is the process by which plaque and calculus are removed from supragingival and subgingival tooth surfaces. Root planning is the process by which residual embedded calculus and portions of the cementum are removed from the roots to produce a smooth, hard, clean surface.

If there is bone loss, then the condition is referred to as moderate to advanced periodontitis. In this case, a surgical periodontal treatment is required.

The other treatments carried out by periodontis include curettage, gum surgeries, cosmetic gum surgeries and alveolar bone surgeries.

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    And the point of this is? It wouldn't have anything to do with the link I removed would it :rolleyes:

Dave

3. flubbo

Apr 21, 2008
    I guess this means posting an add for my uncle's OB/GYN practice is out of the question. :)

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Yeah like this would be prime advertising real estate for that service. I want some of whatever they're smokin'

5. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Sure is ;)

Dave