performance difference? Pb-free solder v.s. conv. solder

analogworm

Joined Mar 15, 2013
Circuits were soldered with the conventional lead-containing solder by auto-soldering machine. The performance and reliability were qualified. Now customers want lead-free products so I have to change to lead-free auto-soldering. Would the performance of the same circuit change when the solder is changed? Does the lead-free circuit provide the same reliability and temperature-related characteristics as the conventional one?

Greatly appreciate any response.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I prefer conventional solder because lead-free solder has a much higher melting point. This makes it more difficult to get a good joint, increasing the likelihood of creating a cold solder joint. You'll need the right machinery/iron/solder station to combat this problem. This is based on personal experience--I always had trouble soldering with the lead-free stuff. I recommend a temperature-controlled soldering station to ensure you have the proper temperature for making clean solder joints.

antonv

Joined Nov 27, 2012
The circuits should perform the same if your solder process is good.

What kind of temperature range are these products designed for?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
To reflow lead free solder exposes the entire PCB to temperatures some 45 degrees C higher then conventional solder.

Additionally, there seems to be a problem with tin itself. Try googling tin whiskers.

But it seems we're stuck with it in a lot of markets.