Peltier powered wood gas stove

ColonelBiscuits

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Ill try to keep this simple but forgive me if I fail to get my intent over first time.

Actually in a nutshell this is what im trying to achieve. http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/

I've assembled a simple prototype stove that was a easy. Now I have to build the circuit that will allow me to power a small fan and if i can, charge a phone.

The stove heats a peltier device which i want to charge a battery (9v rectangular one). the battery powers a small fan and hopefully charges a phone via usb.

Here is a very crude diagram of what i have so far

I realise there are several flaws in my circuit diagram and thats where i need the help. i think i can build it ok from a complete diagram. So my question i guess is how do i wire this up correctly and am i missing any components.

Any help is appreciated as i realise im fumbling around in an area im not strong in.

Thanks
Michael

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Buy it! You will never match that quality with your hands.
THEN, add a boost converter to get to 9 volts.

Specifically name the 9V battery you want to charge. They aren't all the same.

ColonelBiscuits

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Sadly buying one of these is out of the question. Just paid for a month long holiday to New Zealand then found out baby number 2 is on the way. So if I bought one the mrs would remove my ability to make baby number 3.

So far this project has cost me £1.89 which was for the voltage regulator so i can charge devices via usb.
I scavenged the usb port from a ps2(?) to usb keyboard adaptor
the peltier came from an old mini fridge that lost its door
heatsinks from a dead xbox
even the stove is made from old tins

This link is a godsend. For some reason all i was finding was the cheap TEC's from china and 1 or 2 TEG's from random sites but none with the data that tell you the voltages produced etc.

Buy it! You will never match that quality with your hands.
THEN, add a boost converter to get to 9 volts.

Specifically name the 9V battery you want to charge. They aren't all the same.
Your right i'll not match the quality but these kind of projects are a lot of fun. Plus, i'm no doomsday prepper but the ability to build something like this is kind of cool. The battery i chose is a rechargable PP3 R22 8.6v Ni-MH simply because i had this lying around. I watched several instructables on portable/solar USB chargers in altoid tin and am basically aiming to swap out the solar for thermoelectric

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"Plus, i'm no doomsday prepper.."

There is a major difference between a Prepper, and a Doomsday Prepper.

Growing up in the country, everyone prepared for the worst...not so much nowadays.
Some people seem to think that if you prep, you are paranoid.:rolleyes:

Complete rubbish.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
"Plus, i'm no doomsday prepper.."
There is a major difference between a Prepper, and a Doomsday Prepper.
Growing up in the country, everyone prepared for the worst...not so much nowadays.
Some people seem to think that if you prep, you are paranoid.:rolleyes:
Complete rubbish.
I am so glad we have sortet that out now. But let us stay on topic:D

poopscoop

Joined Dec 12, 2012
While I agree that it is a neat little gadget, the rated output of the commercial item is 2w at 5 volts, or 5v at .4 amps. Given that its the rated output I suspect that actual output is quite a bit lower. That's under the USB charging spec, and may not charge a phone with the screen on.

I'm a fan of hand-cranked auxiliary power. Or steam. Or really anything but peltier.

ColonelBiscuits

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Thanks for all the help so far but for the time being ive decided to simplify this project to the point where i just want the peltier to either power a small fan directly or charge a battery that will power the fan. the fan i have is rated 5v and the battery is 9v so i already have a 5v regulator.

since the peltier will probably only trickle charge the battery i think i may need a diode in the circuit to stop the battery powering the peltier but am not sure of this or what kind id need. i seen this in a solar charger demo and it makes sense here too.

So the simplified circuit is a 9v battery, peltier, 5v regulator, 5v fan and probably a switch to turn fan on/off. The diode also if someone can confirm this. I think i have everything now but is there anything else I could be missing

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
As mentioned above, I really think you'll need a cheap DC-DC boost converter to give you the voltage you need. The ones I see on e-bay allow adjusting the output voltage, so I think you would eliminate the need for a blocking diode and the need for a separate voltage regulator. It would be peltier-boost-USB output.

Whether you will have enough power is another question. Some devices are not picky but many are (iPhones, for instance).