Peanut allergy

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
When I was a kid a long time ago, we all ate peanuts, peanut butter, and nuts of every kind we could get. I never knew or heard of a single kid who was allergic to nuts...not even one. What has changed to cause so many kids nowdays to have this allergy?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Environmental non-pollution. We have sterilized our kids' environment so much that they do not build up natural immunity.
Allow your kids to eat dirt!

At 6 months old my kid brought home half the sand of Myrtle Beach!

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I think I have met one or two that is allergic to nuts. And in some cases the reaction can be quite severe. And may end in death. Food producers are required to mark products with "May contain traces of nuts" If the product is made in a factory where nuts are handled. This is of course also note saying. We told you so, so do not try to sue us. But the case is also that quite small traces of nuts may trigger a reaction. However I agree that many children of today. Live in a to well protected environment. In the early age of life. Your immune system. Need all the exercise it can get. It need some scrapes, dirt, and you eating some soil, sand or dirty snow. To get in shape

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I too am baffled by the increased number of persons with allergies and not just to nuts. Thankfully, asthma cases aren't very common in Greece.

I consciously try to exercise my immune system by getting my hands dirty and not washing them every couple of hours, just when I return home at the afternoon.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Environmental non-pollution. We have sterilized our kids' environment so much that they do not build up natural immunity.
Allow your kids to eat dirt!

At 6 months old my kid brought home half the sand of Myrtle Beach!
I haven't really been able to see a common denominator, though everything from High Fructose Corn Syrup to Immunizations have been blamed. Kids certainly seem more... "fragile" these days. One cannot wrap them in a giant bubble for the first 18 years of their life, then push them out of the nest and expect them to be wise and immune to both life and various materials/virus/bacteria/etc.

The allergy is real, I've only seen one case of somebody turning all rashes, but it wasn't from casual contact with nuts, they ate a peanut nut roll that they didn't have a problem with before (teenager). There are many other allergies around now that flat out did not exist 20 years ago. Seafood, lactose, peanuts, and some stranger ones that are rare but a bit funny (I can't think of the full list).

I've seen signs at schools on the doors saying "Nut Free Zone", no peanuts allowed inside by anybody. I can't help but wonder if this helps create the allergy.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I haven't really been able to see a common denominator, though everything from High Fructose Corn Syrup to Immunizations have been blamed. Kids certainly seem more... "fragile" these days. One cannot wrap them in a giant bubble for the first 18 years of their life, then push them out of the nest and expect them to be wise and immune to both life and various materials/virus/bacteria/etc.

The allergy is real, I've only seen one case of somebody turning all rashes, but it wasn't from casual contact with nuts, they ate a peanut nut roll that they didn't have a problem with before (teenager). There are many other allergies around now that flat out did not exist 20 years ago. Seafood, lactose, peanuts, and some stranger ones that are rare but a bit funny (I can't think of the full list).

I've seen signs at schools on the doors saying "Nut Free Zone", no peanuts allowed inside by anybody. I can't help but wonder if this helps create the allergy.
There is some serious evidence pointing at vaccines as the culprit - the combination vaccinations especially as countries with highest incidences of peanut allergies seem to be the ones that introduced this first.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
When I was a kid a long time ago, we all ate peanuts, peanut butter, and nuts of every kind we could get. I never knew or heard of a single kid who was allergic to nuts...not even one. What has changed to cause so many kids nowdays to have this allergy?

I've heard about it all my life. I think the reason might be is people are aware of the alergy now and what 50 years ago would have been considered a normal death of a baby or child could actually of been an allergy. I knew a girl growing up that was so allergic to shell fish if you cooked them in the house she'd have to goto the hospital or her throat would swell shut. Plus add in all the people we have, the death of natural selection, and medical advances.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Mr.Chips,we have share the same sand,maybe one grain,we had cabin right on the

sand. Carolina has a good beach too...have you ever been there.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
My first girlfriend was deathly allergic to nuts of any type. It was because of her, and one or two others, that my high school had to set up a "nut free table" in the cafeteria, and "nut free classrooms", etc. I think she was my first introduction to nut allergies, and I have only met one or two people since then who have one.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
There a humor line somewhere in your post,up late.
Haha, that was not intended to be humorous :p

It's only 10 pm, it's not too late. I'll be up another hour or so. Probably going to do some reading for a change. I've been glued to my computer constantly lately, trying to fix it ever since the OS cr*pped out on me. I need to rest my eyes with a good book.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Had three power ball numbers for $14.00 ,waiting for two more games tonite

by 11:00. The power ball was 3 ,I had two...it would have been $200.00