PCI Device

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by FBorges22, Nov 2, 2008.

1. FBorges22

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Greetings,

I have a litte exotic project that I need some help to execute... Here is the description.

I am interested in develop a Data Acquisition Module based on the 8051 microcontroller interfaced with the PCI bus. However, I cannot find any document or any reference to a text that describles the full electrical characterics of the PCI bus.

Could anyone inform me some references that contains something to initiate this project? I also need to learn how to develop a PCI periferal from scratch.

Thanks,
    FBorges22

2. AlexR

Jan 16, 2008
  3. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    Hi,

Do you really need the bandwidth associated with the PCI bus? I cannot imagine an 8051 uC being able to max out a USB high speed bus bandwidth, why not use USB or maybe ethernet?

Steve

4. FBorges22

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 11, 2008
    What uC do you recommend to interface with PCI bus?

5. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    I don't know of any microcontroller that can utilize the full bandwidth of the PCI bus. These are usually ASICs, or at least FPGAs.

You're going about the process backwards I think. Find out what bandwidth you need, then find a PC interface that will allow such bandwidth and is easy to use. I don't know what sort of DAQ you'll be doing, so I don't know...

Steve