PCBWeb Designer

Deve

Joined Dec 28, 2015
Once my project is complete, I will need to get PCB's made for the circuit. I heard about PCBWeb Designer. So I am playing with it, and discover it does not have a Potentiometer symbol and the Digi-Key Library excludes them. My circuits use Trimmer Pots. So is there a better program to be using? A solution to this problem? It also doesn't have 100k NTC Thermistors.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
learn to use a proper schematic capture/pcb layout program..
Most would recommend either Diptrace or Kicad or Eagle..
Personally I use Diptrace and am VERY happy with it and simply followed the tutorial they provided and was up and running in no time..

and when you get the gerber files ready I recommend https://www.itead.cc/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping.html
Takes about 2-3 weeks from China but their quality/pricing is top notch..

Deve

Joined Dec 28, 2015
Is it way more expensive if you provide a schematic to the circuit board makers and let them do the design? This would be a 7cm x 7cm board with a few IC's, two relays, four transistors, some passives. Not a huge project.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Is it way more expensive if you provide a schematic to the circuit board makers and let them do the design? This would be a 7cm x 7cm board with a few IC's, two relays, four transistors, some passives. Not a huge project.
You don't provide a schematic to PCB makers.. You supply gerber files with the PCB layout all complete..
Their job isn't to do layout work.. Just to make the boards.
You would contract an Engineer or PCB designer to get your schematic laid out per your detailed information about part placement and other requirements you need in the PCB..

Seriously.. download Diptrace..spend 2 hours going through the tutorial step by step and go from there.. Its pretty easy and a great skill to have if you ever expect to do anything like this again..
Some here can take your schematic to PCB for $$$ also.. I'm $60/hr and thats my "for hobby" price.. :cool:

raumut

Joined Jan 29, 2013
learn to use a proper schematic capture/pcb layout program..
Most would recommend either Diptrace or Kicad or Eagle..
Personally I use Diptrace and am VERY happy with it and simply followed the tutorial they provided and was up and running in no time..

and when you get the gerber files ready I recommend https://www.itead.cc/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping.html
Takes about 2-3 weeks from China but their quality/pricing is top notch..
EAGLE is quite easy to learn. There are tutorials (v7) on the website http://www.cadsoftusa.com/training-service/ and video-tutorials on YouTube. If you have further questions check the FAQ first.

Deve

Joined Dec 28, 2015
I went with Diptrace in the end. It turned out easier to use than I had imagined. It has a 300 pin limitation for the free version, but my circuit only turned out to be around 100. It even has an Order button so I pressed it and got my circuit boards back 10 days later. I am sure I paid too much, but I don't care since it is still in the R&D stage. $25 (or so) a board at Bay Area Circuits. Very happy with the quality too. Thanks for all the replies. It sure helps to know there are others out there with the knowledge and willingness to share.