PCBGRIP: Making it easier to assemble electronics.

PCBGRIP

Joined Jan 11, 2014
A long time ago, I posted a note on this site looking for someone to help design something for me. The response I got was something like 'you can do it yourself'. With that encouragement begin my interest and electronics hobby.

Since beginning to work with electronics, I have been very frustrated with the lack of tools to make it easier to assemble electronics projects. So I designed PCBGRIP, a system that is designed to make it easier to assemble electronics projects. I recently launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the idea:

<SNIP>

More pictures can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcbgrip/

I realize that this post borderlines on 'commercial' but wanted to make you aware that PCBGRIP exists. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by a moderator:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
If you look at the reason why the moderators edited your post, you'd probably realize why the link "disappeared". The link may disappear once again.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Gee, what was your username when you posted a long time ago? Maybe you accumulated 100 posts under that name and you are allowed to post this in the flea market. Here it is called spam. We are getting too many people promoting their own or othe people's kick starters and now it is becoming advertising, not chat.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Without using it, I am just speculating, but it looks over-engineered. i can't imagine the time it would take to make all those adjustments for each component. On the other hand, it looks very nice.

ETA: The graphic on your web page is way too high resolution. It takes forever to load.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I don't see the connection of that post with PCBGRIP; it seems totally unrelated to a system of holding PCBs and components.
It was, I was just suggesting that the OP could post under Flea Market if he had the requisite 100 posts instead of spreading publicity under the Chat thread here. Since he didn't with his old user name, it is a moot point.

J.Green

Joined Jul 15, 2008
Sorry for the confusion. If there is a better spot to post this in?, please let me know. I read the forum policy and don't want to spam anyone. Thank you.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Pics look cool, very sleek. Good craftsmanship. However I wouldn't be too keen on investing in it. I'm not convinced there is enough of a market for it to make it a good investment. But what do I know? Not much.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It was, I was just suggesting that the OP could post under Flea Market if he had the requisite 100 posts instead of spreading publicity under the Chat thread here. Since he didn't with his old user name, it is a moot point.
Yeah, I misunderstood.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
One idea that lurks in the back of my mind...a mechanism that works like a drill press so you can pull the handle down and it lowers a spring loaded point that will hold a surface mount device in place while you solder it.

As for whether this is an appropriate place to post this...
The moderators haven't whacked it yet and I leave that judgment call up to them.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
For one thing, I don't see what that has to do with the design you show. For another thing, I'm surprised that thread wasn't closed, considering it's for an automotive application.

EDIT: Oops, forgot the "no automotive discussions" was a relatively new rule here. But the first point still stands, what you describe in the linked thread seemingly has nothing to do with your PCBGRIP design.

However, it does look very sleek and useful to some. I'm afraid I'd have to agree that I'm not sure there would be enough of a market for it, but nonetheless I wish you the very best of luck!

Regards,
Matt

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The Flea Market forum is used for user-to-user transactions, not for product promotion.

As a principle, we do not allow Kickstarter and other crowdfunding links in AAC.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I must be the only one who actually read the post and knows he never said the link to his earlier post was connected to this project, other than that started his interest in electronics.

Anyway, looks like a useful tool, but I agree with some of the others, it seems a little over complex. I use a Pana-vise and it works great.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
One idea that lurks in the back of my mind...a mechanism that works like a drill press so you can pull the handle down and it lowers a spring loaded point that will hold a surface mount device in place while you solder it.
I typically use tweezers to good effect for this operation.

I also have a vacuum tip device that works well but I cannot train my fingers to use.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Anyway, looks like a useful tool, but I agree with some of the others, it seems a little over complex. I use a Pana-vise and it works great.
I agree. Sometimes I'll use a tiny bit of poster tack to temporarily hold a component in place. Or the tried and true slight bend in the leads. Or even temporarily tack soldering a lead (e.g., not worrying if it's a cold joint or tented properly) while other(s) are tightly soldered. I've developed a set of techniques for many situations.

The learning curve for selecting which holding tool to use and mounting/adjusting it seems excessive to me, personally. On the other hand, I will spend hours to build a woodworking jig. So it's a matter of preferences.