PCB wiring

gdallas

Joined Apr 25, 2012
hi, I need to get some wire to interface my pushbutton switches (panel mount) to my PCB. The wire should be single core and will be soldered directly to the board. my drill holes are 36mil and I will use a drill to twist pair them.

what cable do you guys normally use for said task? I will be using RS, so if you have any product numbers that would be appreciated.

Many thanks

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
sure.. you don't really need teflon though.. thats for higher temperature situations..
PVC insulated hookup wire is just fine and should be cheaper.
I typically use 22 or 24 awg.. 28 is just to small IMO

sure.. you don't really need teflon though.. thats for higher temperature situations..
PVC insulated hookup wire is just fine and should be cheaper.
I typically use 22 or 24 awg.. 28 is just to small IMO
Nooooo. Use wire wrap. I do not know the guage off the top of my head, but it is very small.

You can use some decent wire strippers to remove the insulation, tin it with your iron and solder to the board. So you don't have to actual wrap it using the specific tool. I have prototyped many large time-consuming boards using wire wrapping wire.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
i normally use whats on hand, got a lot of cat6 cable lying around here.

there's 8 individual wires to start with, already twisted in pairs :)

i normally use whats on hand, got a lot of cat6 cable lying around here.

there's 8 individual wires to start with, already twisted in pairs :)
Too thick for wiring up boards with many ICs though. Lots of DIPs you need that wire wrap.

You can get an 100ft roll at Jaycar for 15 bucks. Last you years. Grab one black and one red. So 30 bucks. Bit cheaper at trade price. Good quality made in Taiwan.

gdallas

Joined Apr 25, 2012
cheers folks.

Isnt 30AWG a bit on the small size Mr Chips? thats a diamter of 0.255mm, where as my drill hole is 0.91. Wondered if 21 AWG would better suit?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
exactly.. Its just hookup wire to a PCB..
And obviously everyone has their own style of doing everything.
As long as the wire fits easily in the hole and doesn't break during any strains it might get and can carry the current required its going to be fine.

IMO.. 22 or 24 AWG stranded is perfect for a .036" hole.. and gives enough strength,etc.. to not break

whats the differnce mate, is it just hookup cable? will 30AWG be ok for my 26mil drill hole?
Nope. It is specfic single strand wire for the purpose of point-to-point wiring on vero board, whereas many connections to one pad can be made. You end up with neat prototypes. The wire is easier to work with. It is fast. Click click clack.

gdallas

Joined Apr 25, 2012
ahhh! i see. Ye im not looking for single strand. This wont be going from point a to point b on the same board. its going off board to an external switch mounted on the lid of an enclusure. 3dCAD attached. Im guessing the single strand will be too rigid and possibly prone to failure under my scenario as when the lids removed the cable will need to freely flex a little etc.
with everyone’s comments considered I think something like a 22-24 mullti strand hook-up cable will better suit my needs as per mcgyvr suggestion

thanks all

Attachments

As long as the wire fits easily in the hole and doesn't break during any strains it might get and can carry the current required its going to be fine.

IMO.. 22 or 24 AWG stranded is perfect for a .036" hole.. and gives enough strength,etc.. to not break
If the circuit is complex, then you'd be nuts to use general purpose hook up. It is not manable. Very messy.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Since it goes from the board to the panel I would use stranded just for the added resistance to vibration while it is in mid-air. 20 to 24 gage would fit your hole-24 might be easiest to get in with no strands left out.

ahhh! i see. Ye im not looking for single strand. This wont be going from point a to point b on the same board. its going off board to an external switch mounted on the lid of an enclusure. 3dCAD attached. Im guessing the single strand will be too rigid and possibly prone to failure under my scenario as when the lids removed the cable will need to freely flex a little etc.
with everyone’s comments considered I think something like a 22-24 mullti strand hook-up cable will better suit my needs as per mcgyvr suggestion

thanks all
My suggestion then is rainbow cable.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
stranded wire would be better, solid wire breaks after a few flexes. if you go with wire wrap wire, get the special stripper for it, if you nick the wire, it will break easy.