PCB Toner transfer method and HP LaserJet printers

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tekinzen, Nov 29, 2009.

1. tekinzen

Thread Starter Member

Nov 22, 2009
    How well do you think HP LaserJet printers work with the PCB toner transfer method?
    I was planning getting this, not only as a laserjet replacement for my current inkjet printer but also to make my own PCBs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828115365

I have been reading that the LaserJet P series is not very suitable due to the toner which lacks plastic chemicals. However, upon googling for HP toner I learned that the printer I'm looking after is using plastic toner after all. Not sure what to think...

What do you think, will this work properly?

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I have an HP LaserJet 4050TN, which is a really nice printer and the print quality is superb.

However, it does not work well at all for toner transfer. The printers' frugality with toner is great for low-cost printing, but not good for toner transfer.

3. tekinzen

Thread Starter Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Hmmm... I'm shooting in the dark then.
    The reason I chose this over everything else is:

- price
    - supports automatic duplex
    - fast printer
    - dual voltage 110/240V

If I could find something similar within the same price range I would be more than happy to get it.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Ditto SgtWookie's comment for the HP4101mfp. I always thought it was just my printer. maybe it's an HP thing. Or, maybe it is the HP toner???

John

5. tekinzen

Thread Starter Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Darn. So there's nothing good out there that's within my specs? I just want one with dual-voltage support and automatic duplex. The rest doesn't matter if it's under $600.

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I don't think anyone said that. Just two examples of printers that are not good for TT.

Frankly, I am looking for a new printer now too and would be very interested in additional comments.

john

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I have two Samsung printers - a 1210 and a CLP-300. Both give superb results when making foil patterns for my positive-resist PCB's. Both together cost under $600.

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I've used a HP6P Deskjet with good results. It is an old printer, but reliable.

9. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I have an ancient LaserJet III that needs repair. It should do a pretty good job once I fix it.

The really old LaserJets used a lot of toner.

10. tekinzen

Thread Starter Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Shouldn't changing the print quality to the highest possible setting make the toner transfer better?
    The printer I'm about to get has a feature called "ProRes" in which the quality goes higher at a slower printing rate.