Pcb software ???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by oidium45, Jun 4, 2010.

1. oidium45

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Hello, everyone!

I have been using a few free PCB programs. Although they seems to be reasonably acceptable for my needs, I thought that maybe I should get a general consensus of what everyone preferred...

Here is what I am looking for. (For all who would like to participate.)

1) What do you consider to be the best free PCB software?
    2) What do you consider to be the best low cost PCB software?
    3) What do you consider to be the best overall PCB software? (Regardless of price.)

I was considering purchasing software and this will definitely help me make a decision which program to choose. Thank you all in advance!

2. Zaraphrax

Mar 21, 2009
    1) Novarm Diptrace
    2) Uhhh....Diptrace I suppose?
    3) Altium Designer...very expensive, but really, really good. That's what I use.

oidium45 likes this.
  3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Software of what kind?

I'm having fun with GZDoom, which further extends the working life of Doom II. The graphics are amazingly improved. Knee Deep in ZDoom (KDIZD) looks great.

4. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I haven't used anything except ExpressPCB, which seems to work well. After using ExpressSch, ExpressPCB is very intuitive.

5. oidium45

Apr 24, 2010
    I was hoping for PCB design software but thank you for your input.

6. oidium45

Apr 24, 2010
    I downloaded Diptrace and will give it a tray. But I would still appreciate feedback from others.
    I am jealous! Altium Designer looks beautiful!

Thank you for your feedback Zaraograx.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  7. Zaraphrax

Mar 21, 2009
    Just be aware with Diptrace they have a limited free version as well as a paid version. If you are a student, just send them an e-mail and they'll give you a special student version which is less limited than the free version but still not quite as open as the paid version.

And you're welcome. :)

oidium45 likes this.
  8. coldpenguin

Apr 18, 2010
    Can't really recommend it, as it is the only software I have ever used, but Eagle PCB has been recommended to me in the past. I mention it just in case you haven't looked at it already.
    I am finding for circuit capture/design it is Ok.
    For schematic drawing it is OK. (auto-routing of wires is interesting)
    The difficulty I have is that the capture/design doesn't flow well (for me), into the schematic phase, I never quite get the components right.

oidium45 likes this.
  9. n1ist

Mar 8, 2009
    I have used ExpressPCB in the past; the software is easy to use, but you are locked into using them for your boards (at least once, then you can buy the gerbers). For home use, I use KiCAD, which is free, and for work I use Allegro.
    /mike