PCB slide switch

khalid4145

Joined Jul 22, 2008
Hello guys,,,

can any body recommend to me a PCB slide switch rated for 10A to switch on/off DC load?? i tried to search in Farnell and RS but i couldn't find for DC applications. Most of the PCB slides are rated for AC applications.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The current ratings for switches are often given for both AC and DC application. If the current rating is sufficient, whether AC or DC then you should be safe in using the switch in all but the most severe applications.

If the load is largely resistive there should be no problem. If the load is capacitive then the switch will be subjected to in-rush current when the switch is closed. These current surges are typically brief in duration. If your load is primarily inductive then the stress on the switch occurs when the switch is opened. This stress is in the form of arc-over between the switch contacts at the instance the contacts open up.

hgmjr

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You can use a 10Amp AC switch for a DC voltage as long as the DC voltage does not exceed the rated AC voltage.

khalid4145

Joined Jul 22, 2008
Thanks hgmjr and mik3 for your fast response. The problem that i cannot find a PCB slide switch rated for 10A and 30V. The only i found a slide switch of maximum of 3A. Any suggestions or spacifice component name???

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Search Digikey, they have some rated above 10amps at a voltage of 250AC. Dont worry that the rated voltage is 250VAC, it will be fine.