PCB shaping

leonidus

Joined Sep 23, 2008
Hi guys!!!
I want to make solar car. So, for that I want to cut the PCB in desired form.
One of my friends suggested to do so using a saw(a small one).I think this won't work. This may cause PCB to break atleast a crack would occur which I dont want.

Please suggest some better ideas.
:)

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I've used a scroll saw on plenty of PCBs. No problems with breaking or chipping as long as one uses care and patience. Allow a bit of extra width and file or sand down to final dimensions. A coping saw works just as well.

chrissyp

Joined Aug 25, 2008
Hi
With the corner of a smooth file.File a vee goove through the circuit tracks.The vee groove should be wider than the saw blade,then just saw through the rest of the board.I its a double sided board then vee groove both sides.

raybo

Joined Oct 18, 2008
when sawing copper clad you can use any saw you desire the trick is the teeths per inch the more the better. do not use force let the saw do the work. i never crack one yet. but do not install components and then decide to trim it bad idea the vibration can destroy your components not the PCB.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If your PCB stock is phenolic, then any saw will work. If it is FR4, then it will be more difficult. The epoxy dulls saw teeth very quickly. I use a dry diamond blade in a small table saw (76 mm blade).

Jassper

Joined Sep 24, 2008
The best I have found, although not available to everyone, Is to use a Well Saw, which is nothing more than a band saw designed for cutting steel (and Well Saw is actually a brand name). As mentioned already, a PCB is made of fiberglass and will dull a normal saw blade very quickly.

A well Saw spins at a very low RPM allowing you to cut accurately without any jitter/cracking on the board and because the blades are 80-90% carbon, the PCB won't dull the blade and cuts threw like butter.

If a Well Saw is not available, a hand-held Hack Saw works just as nice.