PCB layout auto routing problem

redplaya

Joined Jan 26, 2014
Speaking of relevance to the discussion, I highly doubt the PO is using something as expensive as Mentor Graphics' Pads.

If your experience with autorouting ends with packages such as Eagle or Kicad then you are playing in the bush leagues using amateur tools.
I said that is what I use for tinkering because it is free, not what I have seen by PCB professionals (again relevance to PO and what he is probably using).

You are turning the PO's original discussion into a "my dad can beat up your dad" conversion. Suck up your pride and agree that this guy is obviously not a professional with the required software to literally "do everything for him" and he should probably do it himself.

Real engineers don't need these tools and if you still disagree I can almost guarantee I can model anything relevant that software can with my own state space equations.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Altium is the main package the professionals I know use. But regardless of the package, autorouters are utter and complete cr@p. The only time I ever use an autorouter is when I have both metric and standard pitch components on my board, and the traces don't line up perfectly with the pads. When that happens they leave microscopic airwires that I use the autorouter to fill in. Other than that, I have found the autorouters to be useless.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Speaking of relevance to the discussion, I highly doubt the PO is using something as expensive as Mentor Graphics' Pads.
Same here, as I happen to know the OP (not PO, you must be thinking of your parole officer) is not using an extensive package, which is why my advice was geared to getting the most bang for the buck from his tool.

Just for a sec, let's go back to the OP's very first post:

Hi,
I am trying to autoroute a layout...
Thus, any and all posts about not using an autorouter are quite off topic and have even approached a hijack of this thread.

If your experience with autorouting ends with packages such as Eagle or Kicad then you are playing in the bush leagues using amateur tools.

The professionals I know of use tools such as Mentor Graphics' Pads, which allows design rules for some very sophisticated concepts such as path length matching, controlled impedance, and can roll the PCB layout back into the simulation model to recheck the integrity of any and all crucial signal.
I have created a series of videos on the use of "PADS Logic" and "PADS Layout":

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzVsLVsxIwiYAKuaFiAfB-UTd3hS_3a21