PCB fabrication with copper tape + matrix board

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by philbowles2012, Apr 15, 2013.

1. philbowles2012

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Some of you may fimd this interesting: a sub-module of my "intelligent" ATX-based bench power supply.

I have managed to fabricate the current sensing daughter-board from some matrix board and adhesive copper tape, like this:

You can read more about it on my blog here:

Comments / questions welcome of course

absf likes this.
  2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    yep I use the copper foil tape for all sorts of prototypes,etc... great stuff..

Nov 30, 2010
    I just strip the enamel off some magnet wire. Seems simpler to me. Not as pretty, but it's functional.
  4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Hey those are the same protoboards I use. They come in lots of sizes, are very rugged and inexpensive to boot.

No foil for me either, but an interesting technique.

I like my wires fast and simple, so I use 30 AWG color coded wire for low to no current connections.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  5. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I have tried 30AWG Kynar wire, but for me, the OD (with the insulation on) is so small that it will pass through the pad hole. Do you have that issue?
  6. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    if it was me it would be vero board....
  7. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    That reminds me of a Henny Youngman joke:
    Sure you can run the wire thru a hole. I don't, I like to keep all the wires on one side.

So just don't push it thru a hole.

(I think I'm missing something here.)
  8. edwardholmes91

Feb 25, 2013
    That's an interesting technique Phil. The board you are using I would call "perf board". As other's have mentioned you could also use "vero or strip board". "Matrix board" that you refer to has no copper pads or tracks on it at all. There is also some interesting board kicking about called "tripad" too I think. You've certainly found a cost effective flexible approach to prototyping boards though :)
  9. philbowles2012

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I'm pleased that my first post here has provlked an interesting discussion - I also use vero stripboard and kynar wire - i did this really just to see if it could be done and how easily. I would definitely use it again, in fact I already have some 1,5" wide tape to try the technique on a more intricate design and carve it out of one monolithic piece. I shall report back!

another reason was that the board i had was just the right size for my project case...and if I'm honest I kind of delight in doing things that look difficult...as JFK said:

"we do not do these things because they are easy, we do them because they are hard"
  10. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    I Really like this Idea for noobs or beginners like me which really have no time or place for hazardous chemicals ... But the only thing I would change would be every couple holes ,drill it out a little bigger than the hole and solder the copper tape to the board that way it's alittle bit safer...
    I just order the same kind of boards and was really impressed by the quality of the boards for such a cheap price .. I was plain on using mag wire for my trace or solid core wire and just strip the insulation where I need to connect ..