PCB Etching

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by gusmas, Jul 26, 2010.

1. gusmas

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 27, 2008
    What is the absolute minimum track spacing that is obtainable with home pcb etching i need round about 0.1 to 0.2 mm.....
  2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    .1mm is typically the min for professional etching processes.
    Using a pre-sensitized clad/UV process it might work...
    Toner transfer method is out of the question.
  3. Darren Holdstock

Feb 10, 2009
    I can get about 0.2 mm on a bathtub homebrew effort. That's with an inkjet photopositive onto acetate, print side towards the PCB, pre-sensitised board (don't bother trying to make your own with aerosols), exposed with a small tanning lamp and a bit of greenhouse glass, developed with sodium hydroxide and etched in ferric chloride in a paint roller tray. The devil is in the detail, so refine your process to suit your setup. That said, I prefer a minimum 0.3 mm track width and clearance for a home board, and I doubt I'd get consistently good results at 0.1 mm. Smaller geometries I prefer to farm out to PCB houses, preferably continuity tested if it's that tight.
  4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    While it won't meet your needs directly, a good site to bookmark is Tom Gotee's PC instructions using Laser printer toner...

There is quite a bit of stuff in the beginning of the website, but it gets down to business in the bottom 2/3.